Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like we have sold the bank

I did put the fridge in a storage building along with a few things. Hopefully I can find a home for some of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There were quite a few cotton gin's in the area 30 or 40 years ago, although I don't think there are any now. The railroad line you mentioned crossed over the street where my Mom now lives. They tore up the tracks about 10 years ago.
    where does your mom live? I actually owned some property along the tracks back in the early 80’s along with my dad. We knew they were going to pull up the tracks and according to the original easements the land was suppose to revert back to the original landowners.

But before that happened the electric company put up poles and ran power lines where the tracks were before they did that. We ended up getting a settlement from the power company as we refused to sign over a easement or let them cut trees. There was no dought they would end up with a easement, I just thought it was dirty the way they went about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    where does your mom live?
    About 7 miles west of Bertrand, just inside the city limits of Sikeston.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There may be a buyer out there for it - there was an article in the local rag yesterday about a family who bought an old high school in a small town about 15 miles away. They plan on living in one wing and their daughter and her family in the other. They are athletic and sports-minded, so they'll keep the gym as is.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    There may be a buyer out there for it - there was an article in the local rag yesterday about a family who bought an old high school in a small town about 15 miles away. They plan on living in one wing and their daughter and her family in the other. They are athletic and sports-minded, so they'll keep the gym as is.
    I find that interesting. The only person I knew with a gym anywhere close to the size of a school one, is a pro athlete, who spent an extra million so the roof of it, didn't go over the house roof. Heating/cooling/etc. was not a consideration for him, the same it would be for a normal family (love to see those costs).

In Denver 30 years ago the school district was decommissioning a lot of schools as the baby boomers grew up and there were a lot less students. At the time it was common for one's elementary school that had been built before the WWII to get turned into condos. My prewar elementary school got replaced by a new building in the mid-70's so I will never have the opportunity to live in it (unless the same process happens again in a decade or two and I can live in the mid-70's replacement...) but all the news stories/articles I read about them at the time made them sound pretty awesome.

It is amazing how cheap it is. Hope that the buyer turns it into something nice. I love old buildings.

That is a beautiful old building! I think it will make a nice home! Congrats for the sale and also to the buyers.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It is amazing how cheap it is. Hope that the buyer turns it into something nice. I love old buildings.
    It does need a new roof, but not much demand for the old building. And we want it sold quick.

Sounds like a rural area so can see why demand is low.

Thread Information