Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $1.75 a day poverty diet challenge

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Not for me.

But good luck.
    Thanks!

I work with the lower end of the socio economical spectrum and with food stamps, I don't see most people really going hungry. I do see the 'food insecurity' but it never seems to be like the poverty I experienced when I was orphaned at 16 or the kind I see people talking about from their own childhoods. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And not everyone gets food stamps either. I wonder where this figure comes from?

Sounds like the kind of challenge I would enjoy but the timing is not good right now. There are 4 in the household and my average weekly grocery bill runs about $50-$70 a week, so at $49 for the week for the four of us... I think we could do it! Maybe next time. Good luck!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

So, did you mistype? Your doing the $1.75 a day challenge and instead of that, going to do $1.75 a week? (according to the first post)

Once in awhile we eat down our pantry and freezer instead of grocery shopping to clean things out. We always had plenty of good food growing up so am lucky I was never hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So, did you mistype? Your doing the $1.75 a day challenge and instead of that, going to do $1.75 a week? (according to the first post)
    $1.75 a day for 7 days. May have been a typo back there somewhere.

It would certainly not be enjoyable but I don't think I'd run the risk of starving, or even being particularly hungry. A $3 jar of spaghetti sauce and a $1 pound of spaghetti would give me 6 dinners of my normal size. Rice and a half gallon of milk would give me more than a week's worth of breakfast. Find some cheap fruit for lunch and maybe a head of the cheapest leaf lettuce plus a little oil and vinegar to make salads. I just need one last dinner. Terribly bland and carb heavy but totally doable.

A more interesting challenge for me would be "don't plan ahead and try to eat from whatever you already have for the next month". I pulled a can of green chiles out of the back of pantry sunday and put them in my breakfast burrito. The can said "best by august 2016". They were still totally fine (and tasty). (and had been a bargain at 10 cans for $5 several years ago. I remember the price because that was the only reason I bought them...) We have too much storage in our kitchen so there's undoubtedly other stuff like this that should be eaten. Same thing with stuff in our freezer. SO would totally not be on board with this program though so it will never happen. I just need to start going through everything and making meal plans according to what we have.

Here's another one...21 dollars a week which is still nearly double your goal, but I think more realistic. I don't really know anyone in THIS country who managed on that little.

I have a good friend that grew up poor and by 8 was trying to cook and help her mom stretch the food. As a result she has enough food in her house to feed a army and lives alone. My mom said they had very little during the depression but they had food by growing it, etc. She only owned 2 dresses and pjs but wasn’t hungry. She hand washed her clothes daily.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    A more interesting challenge for me would be "don't plan ahead and try to eat from whatever you already have for the next month".
    I had been doing this over the summer... trying to get through stuff in the pantry. I used to stock up really well and then hardly use what I had. I think I need to reorganize the pantry again, use what I find and actually make a list of what we use and how much I want to keep on hand. Thanks for the reminder.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information