Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hell may freeze over......

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, sorry, maybe you arent a direct descendent of Cawdor
    campbells, but 3rd Earl of
    Moray’s daughter married Hugh Campbell, Earl of Cawdor. So I guess that Cawdor connection is in your cousins.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jame..._Earl_of_Moray
    Yes, this looks like a cousin relationship. I know I have Scott, Sterling, Balfour, and Napier ancestors, but I do not know of any Campbells. The book sounds very interesting--have you read Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals? It is a great favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, this looks like a cousin relationship. I know I have Scott, Sterling, Balfour, and Napier ancestors, but I do not know of any Campbells. The book sounds very interesting--have you read Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals? It is a great favorite of mine.
    Ye,
    I read a couple of Durrell books.

Yppej
    I heard a commentator say that Trump has not worked to add to his base except for Jews - moving the embassy to Jerusalem etc. This decision may be part of that same move to draw in that voting bloc.

Yppej
    Rob, I am glad this low-level government functionary was held to account. Just because someone is low level does not absolve them of moral responsibility.

Beyond just the guards many ordinary people subsidized their lifestyles with stolen Jewish homes, businesses, and goods. It was affluent Jews who could sometimes escape and it was disproportionately poorer Jews who were trapped. Those who survived and went back to their hometowns after the war were often not welcomed, because the new owners did not want to pay them back. Yet those whose assets were now above average due to their pillage still clung to myths of rich Jews and felt entitled to this subsidizing even as their dispossessed former neighbors returned. Hence the state of Israel.

An excellent book is Neighbors: The Destruction of the Jewish Community in Jedwabne, Poland. It details Polish participation in genocide, and did much to start an ongoing conversation about how the general population knew about, condoned, and benefitted from the Holocaust throughout Eastern Europe.

Yes I have read stories about what some of the Poles did to Jews. Many never got their homes or possessions back. I am part Polish and my son married a wonderful woman from Poland. But people are people so bad apples everywhere. I worked with a Jewish woman whose grandma would only hire a Polish woman to clean. She felt happy that she was cleaning her toilets.

Yppej
    Definitely not just a Polish issue TT. Historians are now trying to find the massacre sites while there are living witnesses, who were children at the time. How would a child know? Because this didn't just happen out in the woods. Many pogroms were within town limits, just as lynchings in the US used to be mass spectator events.

Thread Information