Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision and glasses

Vision and glasses

I've worn progressive lenses for many years. I always needed to get anti-reflective coating too. They cost close to $500. But when you consider how important they are and I usually wear them for 5-7 years, then it's not so expensive.

Last time I was to the ophthalmologist, (actually the last 2 times), he wrote a new prescription for me, but I didn't feel I need to change. Well now, my distant vision has improved. I guess that's not unusual for older people. I no longer need the "distance" part of my glasses. The doc kept going on and on about what a waste of money it would be to get progressive lenses with plain glass at the top, for distance. He kept encouraging me to just wear reading glasses all the time, and just look over the top of them for everything else. Well, that's incredibly inconvenient to me. I don't want to mess with taking glasses on and off, or looking over the top of reading glasses to see mid-far stuff.

Today I checked out some reading glasses at the store. The close-up part of his Rx (250) was too strong for me. I've read you can buy otc glasses that have reading strength in the bottom of the glasses and plain glasses at the top. This sounds interesting, but then there would be no anti-reflective coating. Which means (especially at night), I would see double for all the lights.

Anyone else figure out how to deal with an issue like this?

I don't drive much at night any more, but was never bothered by glare. Supplemental vitamin A (for night blindness) helps with that.

DIY coating: http://glassescrafter.com/informatio...yeglasses.html

I totally get what you're saying. I'm in the same position. Although I have astigmatism, I also don't seem to require distance vision from my glasses anymore. Like you, I love progressives.

I lost my progressive glasses a year or so ago and I didn't want to jump and buy a new pair right away, because they're so expensive and also because I figured my lost pair would turn up eventually. They didn't.

During that time I did the reading glasses thing and hated it. I don't like those stupid chains, I don't like taking them off and putting them on repeatedly, I don't like that you wind up with 4 pair all over the house and you still can't find a pair when you need them. I'd rather just wear glasses 16/7 (I don't wear them to bed .

So they can't treat plain glass with anti-reflective coating? How's your night vision? Can you take off the glasses when you drive?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You don’t need glasses to drive if your distance vision is good. I have reading glasses in every room. I don’t like to wear glasses all the time. It sounds like you might just want to go back to progressive glasses.

I looked on the interwebz a little; apparently applying an anti-reflective coating after manufacture is not trivial -- the coating has to be consistent in depth, especially in lenses so near your eyes. There also may be an issue with whether the lenses are plastic or glass; some coatings won't work with one or the other. But a Web search will uncover all kinds of products that claim to reduce glare; reading the caveats might make an educational night of reading.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yeah, I guess I could take them off to drive at night....which I don't do very often anymore. What I meant about regular far-distance glass not being anti-reflective, I was referring to the kind you buy otc. I actually can get glare during the day too. Like when I look at a lamp, I see 2 lamps.
    I have the added problem of the Doc prescribing something like 250 for close-up reading, which is too strong for me (at least when I tried on the ones in the store)......so if I go to get the progressive lenses, I'll have to get permission to change that part of the prescription. Then I found out that the optical department I go to at my doc's isn't covered by my insurance. What a drag.

I would never consider trying to put anti-reflection on my own glasses. They are too expensive to ruin. I guess for now, I will just look over the top of my progressive lenses when I need to see far. I just couldnl't stand to look up and down all day with those reading glasses. And I think the progressives slowly blend the reading area into the far area, so it's a smooth transition.......whereas it seems like there is a "mid-vision" area that is lacking in the reading glasses, then taking them off for distance. I brought this up to the eye doc, but he said that's all psychological, that I just think I have to have what I'm used to. And he said that the strength of your needed reading vision glasses is dependent on your far vision......that it's just a formula......That if your distance vision gets worse, your close up vision does too........so he didn't test my close up vision. He's a highly respected doctor....... but I feel like I know my needs better than he does.

Just like my cars, I like to keep my glasses forever. I don't have a need for new things that often, if nothing really changes. I forgot to ask the doc if I'm hurting my distance vision by looking through these lenses now.....when distance is a little blurry because of them. I do hate changes though.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    If this helps at all, my husband just ordered (and received) a new pair of progressive glasses (he lost the others on the beach when the "leash" gave way). For the frames, the lenses, a blue coating that is supposed to cut out computer screen glare) -- the entire package cost him $156.

He filled out the online order form with the prescription info he had from the eye doctor.

Previous pair, ordered from the eye doctor, was over $550.

Is he satisfied with the glasses? Yes, very much so! Me, too -- they look very good on him.

He also ordered two pairs of clip on sunglasses so he didn't have to order prescription sunglasses.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 8-22-18 at 8:25pm. Reason: typo
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I actually can get glare during the day too. Like when I look at a lamp, I see 2 lamps.
    When you move your head past a light source, can you see through your glasses something that almost looks like a comet's tail? If so, the issue may not be glare/reflection, it may be refraction. I've had lenses in which I could see, say, a streetlight and, a little bit away from it, a dimmer version of that streetlight. High-index lenses solved that problem for me. Nikon makes 'em, Zeiss makes 'em, Seiko makes 'em. They make a tremendous difference in how accurately I can see.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We just were quoted over 400 dollars copay on prescription glasses for DH, and instead ordered them from Zennie's for 125, same glasses, with the blue blocking.
    I will never buy them from the doctor again, it does not seem worth it and I cannot afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We just were quoted over 400 dollars copay on prescription glasses for DH, and instead ordered them from Zennie's for 125, same glasses, with the blue blocking.
    I will never buy them from the doctor again, it does not seem worth it and I cannot afford that.
    Just a few weeks ago, I got a new eyeglass prescription. Because I'm very nearsighted and need progressives and have astigmatism in both eyes, I got the new glasses at Lenscrafters. I've had trouble in the past getting the correct lens, so I wanted to be able to deal directly with the company that made the glasses I use the most. I did not want to deal with a mail-order company if I needed the lenses changed or fixed.

While I was there, I had them price a pair of reading glasses, non-progressive. With the cheapest frames in the store, and at 40% off because they were running a deal where your second pair of glasses was 40% off, they were $395. At Zenni's, I got a similar pair for about $56. At some point I will go back and order a new pair of prescription sunglasses.

I had the eye doctor measured my PD, which he joked he wasn't supposed to do. That seems to be the crucial measurement that you need to order glasses online.

I have no idea why a scrap of metal can cost $300 or more for frames, and lenses can cost nearly $800. Maybe back in the day when they were hand-grinding the lenses, but they are all mass produced these days. Given all the new technology to make the lenses, they should be costing less, rather than more.

Thread Information