Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is the longest you have made a car last?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Corvairs are suddenly hot ticket items in my neighborhood. Hard to believe but believe it. Granted, the ones collected here are convertibles but,yeccchch, Corvairs? Isnt that that Unsafe st Any Speed car?
    That is the Unsafe at Any Speed car, although to be fair GM upgraded the suspension after a couple of model years and eliminated the 'tuck under' that was the cause of a lot of accidents. After that it was mainly an issue of poor driving skill because the heavy rear end made for a much different driving experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI9Hq0_Mhy0

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Speaking of parts, how much of a challenge would they be to find for heritage vehicles? I suppose 3D printing could solve that, maybe?
    When I have to wait for my barber, one of my reading choices is Hemmings Motor News, which is dedicated to the maintenance and restoration of old cars and trucks. I am amazed at the number of "old" parts which are being reproduced: wide-whitewall tires that look like the old bias-belted tires or tires which fit on Model T rims; replacement fender parts for 1950s Chevys; and so on. It also appears that, courtesy of auto salvage software, special-interest forums on the Internet, and craigslist, it's easier than ever to locate the parts you need for your 1923 Flivver. Obviously the more popular the car was to start with, the easier it is. But even brands that have been gone from U.S. shores for decades still have some ready supplies of parts.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My current car is a 2003 Subaru Forester with 235,000 miles. Still runs great and has been garaged for the last few years, so it still looks pretty good. I used to drive many many miles every week but now average about 400-500 miles a month. I LOVE this car to bits and hope it lasts many many more years. My next car will be another Subaru.

The car before that was a 1989 Acura Integra that I sold in 2003 with 214,000 miles. A friend of my bf at the time bought it and would have kept it for a long time if he didn't wreck the front end.

My old Ranger I had for 11 years and it sold for what I had into it when I bought and fixed it. But I have an antique vehicle (71 Superbeetle) and one neighbor, who has a model A that his uncle bought (and it has been his daily driver for a bit), in 29 and he still has the original plates.
    I would still have my first car if not for being rear ended by a snow plow.

I had a 1989 Mazda pickup which at239,000 miles got blue smoke disease. Given that it was on the second clutch with no transmission or rear end work, I donated it to charity. The A/C stopped working long before then.

January 2003 new Hyundai Santa Fe. Lasted until November 2016. 235,000 miles. Basically raised my kids on that car.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I'm on my third small Toyota pickup, called a Tacoma now. I got rid of the first two after about 11 or 12 years and around 140,000 miles. Some driving on dirt roads and a little four-wheeling on old mining and logging roads, but mostly city. Neither had any major problems but small things were starting to go wrong. I suspect someone willing to keep up with maintenance and a few repairs could get 200K or 250k out of those things, as long as the manufacturing quality keeps up.

And then this happened...

car.jpg

SO got rear-ended and shoved under a truck on the way home from work wednesday. Thankfully he wasn't hurt. If it had been bumper to bumper there would be minimal damage (neither other vehicle involved had any damage, nor did the back of our car). But since the book value of my car is maybe $3,600 I fully expect that the insurance companies will total it out since repairs will likely be more than that.

I guess I probably won't need to worry about it rotting away despite only having 40,165 miles.

We had a car that was low book value and got rear ended, but because we had just put new tires on it and had some other important repair done, the hitters insurance (State Farm) paid for the repairs even though it was close or more than the book value of the car. It pays to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And then this happened...

car.jpg

SO got rear-ended and shoved under a truck on the way home from work wednesday. Thankfully he wasn't hurt. If it had been bumper to bumper there would be minimal damage (neither other vehicle involved had any damage, nor did the back of our car). But since the book value of my car is maybe $3,600 I fully expect that the insurance companies will total it out since repairs will likely be more than that.

I guess I probably won't need to worry about it rotting away despite only having 40,165 miles.
    Well, that stinks. I was in an accident (not my fault) about 18 months ago with my 2009 Kia Sportage that I was driving at the time. I probably had 80K miles on it. I was sure they'd total it out, since the KBB value was less than $5000. Guess what - they repaired it! Took them like a month, so they paid for my rental car, too. Not sure how long State Farm can stay in business making decisions like that, but there ya go. My college-aged daughter is driving it now.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information