Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the longest you have made a car last?

I had a 2000 Nissan Maxima for 17 years. 102,000 miles on it. Sold it to a desperate niece for $2650. Replaced with Mercedes C300 4matic with a lot of safety features and likely my last car as I can easily drive it 30+ years (I'm 57). It currently has 14,500 miles on it at 31 months old.

2001 Volkswagen Beetle. 130,000-ish miles. Still going strong, but the A/C has died and one inside door handle has broken off. I am hoping for one more year with this car, and then I will replace it with a Subaru--I've moved north since I bought it and am dealing with more hills and more snow than before and 4 wheel drive would be lovely.

Our '97 F150 was getting ready to roll 330,000 when my son totaled it in August '12. So it was 15 years old but we bought it '99 used with 23,000 miles on it and then the transmission went out at 30,000. So a rebuilt transmission got us almost 300,000 miles! My current rides are 9 and 10 years old. We've only had a combo of 6 vehicles in our almost 29 years of marriage. Always buy used but next time I want something brand new...just for once even though I know it horribly depreciates.
    Currently '09 escape has 170,000 and '08 Ranger truck has 160,000.
    The '00 durango I sold at 210,000 for $2000 - wish I'd kept it. Even though it was on it's 3rd dead AC it was so much more comfortable than the escape.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

1975 VW beetle, 33 years, maybe 150,000 miles on it.

DH’s Nisson small truck was the oldest vehicle we have had. It got up to 20 or 21 years old.it was still under 100,000 miles. It was driven daily,just not driven far.

2000 GMC Sonoma pick up- not 100,000 miles yet but still looks new and has never been garaged...it does however have a water leak that the body shop said isn't really worth fixing....so a tarp when not in use works well. Still have a 2007 Focus wagon 150,000 miles and looking to replace one or the other with an suv-small. But we've been tossing that idea around for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    1975 VW beetle, 33 years, maybe 150,000 miles on it.
    No way. Did you guy it new? Have you had it since 1975?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

LOL.......a bit off-topic. I bought a very used VW Beetle in the early 1970's. Actually, it was so bad, one of the professors I was working for went with me back to the Used Car place and I ended up trading it for another old VW.......which was almost as bad.

But I learned to love that Beetle! I'm sure it was the most unsafe car around. (Trunk in front). But it never got stuck in the snow. I used to drive it across town to a garden plot I rented and so carried my hoe and shovel with me in the car. It was a good thing, because the driver door kept popping open and I could grab onto one of the tools while I reached for the door. The horn would blow every time I turned left. The battery started falling out of the back seat floor. I could see the road under my left foot so I had it fixed as cheaply as possible by a wonderful German mechanic. the only problem was the screws would dig into my left shoe when I drove. hahahaha It had no heat at all and so in winter, frost would build up on the inside of the windshield, so I would have to constantly scrape it off to see.

The jerk/criminal used car salesman that sold me the cars finally got his comeuppance. A young guy stabbed him when the salesman came on to him. Unfortunately, I wasn't working the E.R. the day he came in.
    I got a new VW Rabbit several years later. I don't know how many miles the Beetle had on it. Did they even keep track back then?

Oh.......and sometimes it wouldn't start and a couple of my friends would push it to the end of the drive where I was renting an apartment. There was a steep drive down. One person would go down on the road and let me know when it was safe to go.........and I would pop the clutch and it always started up. Ahhh.......Those were the days my friend. hahaha

Geila
    We have a 1989 Chevy S10 and a 1995 Honda Accord. I think the Accord will be retired in the next year or two and the truck we will keep till it dies.

My current car, a 2004 Toyota Corolla. 135K miles. I'd say it was easily good for another 100K, but most of the driving has been local, which takes more of a toll on the engine. Also the finish has taken a beating because it's never been garaged.

I've thought about replacing it, but driving an old clunker has its advantages. In fact, just yesterday a woman backed into me in a parking lot, putting a small ding in my rear bumper. She was almost hysterical since she was obviously at fault. But I told her to forget it and drove off. (She was driving a Mercedes and definitely got the worst of it.)

Thread Information