Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the longest you have made a car last?

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    We've only had a combo of 6 vehicles in our almost 29 years of marriage. A.
    Made me stop to count: We're married 38 years and our current 2 vehicles bring the total count to 10. 6 of those were in the first 12 years when we were busy "Jonesing".

Thoughtful contemplation on the "why" of changed behavior

We keep our cars until they get too expensive to repair. I had a 14yo Volvo that had 178/miles but than needed a 6k repair so got rid of it. We now have a 10yo Toyota Corolla and 8yo Honda Accord both bought used. The Toyota has 49k/miles and the Honda 80/k.

I tend to drive a lot, and have had several cars. My first car was a '65 Mustang fastback. It had 96,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1970, and 187,000 when I sold it. Bought my 1975 Capri new, had 236,000 miles when I traded it in (a local guy bought it and I saw it running around town for another 3 years or so). I bought a new 1984 Colt, drove it myself for 182,000 miles, then my son-in-law put another 30,000 miles on it, I got it back and it had 249,000 on it when I traded it in for a 1994 Chrysler Town and Country, the only real luxury car I've had, it already had 48,000 miles. I drove that to 217,000 miles. Then I got a new Caravan, that went 204,000 miles. Now I'm working on a 2014 Kia Soul, it has 90,000 miles yesterday. The first 2.5 years I was commuting to work, since then, I've made several long road trips, and in between it sits.

The Caravan ate front tires and brakes, got lousy gas mileage (17), and wasn't a very comfortable car to drive but I could haul the grandkids, dogs, and lots of stuff. Otherwise, my cars have all been low maintenance, really pretty good on gas, and very comfortable. I am careful about getting periodic oil changes.

Dont shame us! We like cars.

Over our 30 year marriages we have had 11 cars. If you slice out the fun cars, we have had 9 cars and small trucks for regular use.

The fun cars are two Triumph TR6 autos and one Mercedes Benz 450 SL. The
    TR6 cars never really ran. The Benz runs well but needs expensive Benz heating/cooling system fixes. We have no cooling sustem, and now have no heating system.

Of my current fleet of vehicles, which I think I will trim down soon, the oldest are:

- 1998 BMW Z3
    - 1999 Hummer H1
    - 2003 Porsche 911C4S

Each is pretty low mileage, with < 30,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    No way. Did you guy it new? Have you had it since 1975?
    I bought it with 2000 miles on it; i had it from '75 to '08. I tend to hang on to things (and situations) until well past their pull date.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Dont shame us! We like cars.

Over our 30 year marriages we have had 11 cars. If you slice out the fun cars, we have had 9 cars and small trucks for regular use.

The fun cars are two Triumph TR6 autos and one Mercedes Benz 450 SL. The
    TR6 cars never really ran. The Benz runs well but needs expensive Benz heating/cooling system fixes. We have no cooling sustem, and now have no heating system.
    My brother and I shared a Triumph TR7 in highschool and college. Between that and the 3 old Rancheros we always had something driveable. The Rancheros were a lot more trustworthy with the 3onthetree than the Triumph but that wedge shaped 5 or 6 speed (can't remember which) convertible was so fun to drive.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Did you all read about that 64.5 mustang convertible the lady had sitting in her garage for years. Very low mileage and now worth up to 350,000?
    My dad was the first one in Missouri to get the 64.5. It was light yellow. He sold his tools, farm, and that car when he thought he was going to 'Nam. Then they found out they were going to have me and the Army said he didn't have to go.
    Capture.jpg
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Did you all read about that 64.5 mustang convertible the lady had sitting in her garage for years. Very low mileage and now worth up to 350,000?
    My dad was the first one in Missouri to get the 64.5. It was light yellow. He sold his tools, farm, and that car when he thought he was going to 'Nam. Then they found out they were going to have me and the Army said he didn't have to go.
    Capture.jpg
    oh that is great!!!

My 2004 Scion xB has 110,000 miles and has never had any problems. We also have a 2004 Honda Odyssey mini van with about the same mileage. Very reliable cars, both.

Thread Information