Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with this co-worker?

What is going on with this co-worker?

I have an issue with a new co-worker that I'm trying to find some way to deal with it. We work in a small and very busy office and both report to different people. We're both middle aged men but while I'm quiet and keep to myself I have an active social life, he's small statured and mumbles when he talks and has never mentioned friends or outside activities. A lot of our communication in the office is by instant messenger.

After an initial period of seeming like a normal person he began coming to my cubicle over and over trying to peep on my monitor. At an employee function I was using my personal laptop during a break and he wanted to know what I was doing. I told him I was checking my personal stuff and he sat down next to me and leaned in front of me to look at my laptop. I snapped at him and later got a reply by messenger that was something like a child would write, he didn't see any problem in what he was doing.

It escalated to coming into my cubicle without warning, usually before or after another co-worker was there when no one else was around. One time I was picking up my things to go home and when I turned around he was less than a foot from me and kept wanting to talk and hang out until I had to tell him to back up. Over time he's gotten more obstinate, without any regard to how busy I am, and telling him I have things to do only has him put a strained look on his face and try marching into my cubicle again.

At a meeting recently he vocalized about trying hard to fit in and felt people were being mean to him, and yesterday it finally came to a head. We were short two people and I was very stressed trying to get the morning work done. He came over again and despite telling him I had work do to he stood there staring at me and finally became hostile, telling me I was mean to him and becoming more confrontational, denying he was snooping on me when I brought that up, and then saying he was friends with everyone when I told him I only worked with him and didn't want anything else. He left when another co-worker came in then started rapid firing me messages about everything from his social anxiety to his single relationship status to how hard he was trying, until I finally asked my supervisor to talk to him.

He met with both my supervisor and his, and what I got from the followup is he thinks people simply passing by his space and not saying anything is being "mean" and is perpetually fretting on why we're not all trying to spend time with him.

I'm at my wit's end with trying to do my job and deal with this, and don't have the time or energy to essentially babysit his social angst. What is this guy's problem and how can I get him to just leave me alone?

Wow, Zofodon, that certainly sounds like a challenging situation. I think you did the right think by escalating this. Some people don't respond to subtle social cues (we have some friends like this), so you have to be more direct than you might expect. But if that doesn't work and you're at your place of employment, escalating to management is a good way to go.

Your supervisor is not doing her job if this idiot continues to bug you and probably others.

is he still in a probationary period where firing him is easier than later? This kind of behavior never gets better. This kind of employee, when performing at his absolute best, is still marginal. So, he will always be disruptive to the workplace.

Please do keep in mind that you must be very direct and use very clear language with him.
    Do not say “ I have work to do” say “you cant come in” or “please leave now.”

Do not waste your time in trying to change his attitude or his thinking about mean people who dont talk to him when walking by. If you understand the concept of boundaries, you must accept that you cannot change him but you can leave his presence or ask him to leave your presence if he hangs onto you.

keep documentation of how often he comes into your work area uninvited, and send that on to your supervisor, or at least, keep it on file. Of she isnt close by she may not know how often this takes place, and frankly, it isnt entirely about frequency anyway, it is about you not wanting him in your work area. You have that right.

One trick is to walk out of your office saying you have to leave, and a good place to go is to your boss to say “idiot co worker is in my space again and will not leave.”

How long has he been there?

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...oying-coworker

read about Ultralight’s similar experience—happy ending! Or, wtf ending.

He's only been there a few months; I think my supervisor handled it well as as a first step to make it clear he's violating boundaries and not his view/versus my view and start the escalation, especially since this guy reports to someone else. I agree that going forward my responses will be direct and to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

read about Ultralight’s similar experience—happy ending! Or, wtf ending.
    "wtf ending?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    "wtf ending?"
    I mean, the co worker seems largely incompetent, so OF COURSE she gets a big new job with more money and perks. Probably at the taxpayers expense.

That is why WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I mean, the co worker seems largely incompetent, so OF COURSE she gets a big new job with more money and perks. Probably at the taxpayers expense.

That is why WTF.
    Why would it be at the taxpayer expense? I don't follow...

She is going to the private sector.

All my other colleagues are so happy she is leaving but she thinks they are just happy for her getting a great opportunity.

I hope he's not the kind that shows up the next day with a gun, ready to unload on those "mean people"!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I hope he's not the kind that shows up the next day with a gun, ready to unload on those "mean people"!
    I took active shooter/aggressor training at my work. We had a crazy guy working there. We also work in a windowless basement with only one way in and one way out.

The instructions for a situation are to run-hide-fight, in that order.

Thread Information