Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The space you really need?

Williamsmith
    I consider a tub to be a necessary accessory for a happy existence. The experience of immersing yourself in hot water is a psychological return to your mothers womb. My apologies for the images that my stir up.

I agree with regard to a tub. I would never completely get rid of tubs in a house. To me, the "showers-only" movement is emblematic of the rush rush rush lifestyle we have. How fast can we wash? Let's just race through running water in the morning and call it a day.

I also object to people who are concerned about "sitting in your own dirt." I've heard that a lot. I had a friend in college who said that the only way she would take a bath is if she took a shower first, then a bath, then another shower. That's why I like my "shath". My clawfoot tub has a shower head on a hose, and so I can run the tub, take a shallow bath, then on the way out of the tub, spritz myself off. There is no way any of my guests would feel comfortable to this method, but I've adapted to it and it's not that bad.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would not get rid of tubs entirely, in fact, my ideal goes a different direction. I currently have a claw foot tub and shower, with the shower being handheld on a hose, as they are not designed for all heights (tall or short people have those issues with showers as well).
    My ideal involves a floor drain in the middle of the bathroom, where one could stand and use or hose themselves off before getting into a Japanese style soaking tub, which I expect would help with my back/muscles.

We put a big jacuzzi soaking tub in our bathroom and love it along with a shower.

The house I grew up in had only a bath. Count me as one of the people who thinks it's gross. I don't consider my shower to be a rush rush rush on to the day type of activity. I love the process. I start with shampooing my hair, then do my pits, and work my way down to my feet, all the yuck getting closer to the drain. At the end I feel clean. Getting out of a bath (as a kid. I couldn't tell you the last time I took one) I looked with dispair at the dirty water draining away, thinking how much of that dirt was still on my body. I'm jp and, yes, I'm a germaphobe.

If we ever bought a house with a tub we'd likely keep it (assuming the bathroom wasn't a disaster area) because I can't see wasting money changing out a functional room. (I am, after all, a thrifty minimalist...),

I really like both of these but must confess every time I look at limited space I wonder "where do they store the Christmas Decor?"
    We (3people) live in 1400 sq ft and the Christmas stuff is in the attic. Probably time to go thru and get rid of some of this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I really like both of these but must confess every time I look at limited space I wonder "where do they store the Christmas Decor?"
    We (3people) live in 1400 sq ft and the Christmas stuff is in the attic. Probably time to go thru and get rid of some of this stuff?
    I've thought about that. If we ever make it to Christmas up here in Vermont, I would a) minimize / use biodegradable decor. In a small home, natural materials like real trees, rope garland and pine cones can go a long way. b) keep any other stuff--hopefully not much, stuff like lights and tree ornaments--in my shed in the back.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I got rid of most of my Xmas decorations and only have 1 small box. My tree is about a foot tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    Heh. As we poked around our car and a couple others, we found a small closet door in each car that contained an artificial Christmas tree and some additional dust collectors stuffed into the space. Apparently this place does up Christmas. Obviously not space for a 5- or 6-foot tree and tons of decorations but it was stored in the car.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

While I have an attic full of Xmas stuff including two fake trees (one 10+ ft tall for our tall ceilings) in recent years I have, when I put up a tree which isnt annually, Purchased a small live tree. I decorate it with one set of lights and whatever throwaway decor catches my fancy.

I keep the Christmas stuff in the attic because I kinda sorta hope we can be on one Holiday House tour before I die.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-29-18 at 2:12pm.

Thread Information