Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pope Francis Should Resign

It seems to me like the Catholic Church has improved exponentially since parishioners were not burned for possessing the bible in their native language and the days of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre are long gone. I don't think replacing the pope would change anything. Allowing priests to marry would go a log ways to resolving the root cause of things. In a discussion with a cranky uncle the issue of priest marriage came up. He said not only should they be allowed to marry, but it should be a requirement.

Yppej
    Yesterday on the news I heard that New Jersey set up a hotline for state residents to report abuse by priests. The phone lines were so jammed people couldn't get through and they had to hire a bunch more people to work in the call center.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yesterday on the news I heard that New Jersey set up a hotline for state residents to report abuse by priests. The phone lines were so jammed people couldn't get through and they had to hire a bunch more people to work in the call center.
    I readily admit to having a sick sense of humor. This is frigging hilarious!

As a child, the Catholic Church taught me the value of empathy and forgiveness. And guilt. But that's about it. I bet this cloistered pedophilia stuff within the church has been going on for centuries. Interesting how men all over the place are being called out for lack of control over their little heads.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    As a child, the Catholic Church taught me the value of empathy and forgiveness. And guilt. But that's about it. I bet this cloistered pedophilia stuff within the church has been going on for centuries. Interesting how men all over the place are being called out for lack of control over their little heads.
    Its not about sex. It’s about power.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Its not about sex. It’s about power.
    It is about both. Desire for something that does not belong to you (also called covetousness, as it "Thou shalt not Covet", and then theft of it. Sad that this is built into the culture of the church from the beginning. It is a part of it. Watch your kids very very closely if you take them to church. May look safe, but it is not. Wolves in sheep's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It seems to me like the Catholic Church has improved exponentially since parishioners were not burned for possessing the bible in their native language and the days of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre are long gone. I don't think replacing the pope would change anything. Allowing priests to marry would go a log ways to resolving the root cause of things. In a discussion with a cranky uncle the issue of priest marriage came up. He said not only should they be allowed to marry, but it should be a requirement.
    It is required in observant Judaism, a rabbi has to be married and also have children. Otherwise he is considered not qualified. This rule is also stated in the Christian scriptures too, actually.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    This rule is also stated in the Christian scriptures too, actually.
    Where? 1 Timothy 1:2 says be the husband of one wife (rather than a polygamist) but says nothing about having children.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Where? 1 Timothy 1:2 says be the husband of one wife (rather than a polygamist) but says nothing about having children.
    Yes, you are right. Also do not have to have children in Judaism, just have to be "trying". Sorry I miswrote.

Thread Information