Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis Should Resign

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Let me quote myself: "When I was a kid I got the gut feeling that priests were usually creeps."

So when did you get over that feeling?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Last night on the news: the Catholic church spent $2.3 million on a retirement home for a San Jose bishop: https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/...tirement-home/

Just another sad example of poor decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Last night on the news: the Catholic church spent $2.3 million on a retirement home for a San Jose bishop: https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/...tirement-home/

Just another sad example of poor decision-making.
    A former Catholic girlfriend of mine used to continually gnash her teeth about this sort of thing. One time the local bishop, who lived in two rooms in a seminary, passed away and was replaced by a guy who promptly purchased a large house in a posh suburb, complete with a staff of nuns to wait on him. I expect she was cheering when Francis declined to live in the papal palace in favor of more modest accommodations.

There's nothing biased about pointing out that right-wing Catholics have a political ax to grind and therefore might have less than completely pure motives in attacking Francis. I have no dog in this hunt, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Williamsmith
    Somehow I don’t get the feeling that Pope Francis has a placard on his desk that reads, “The buck stops here.” Not by his response thus far. I would be happy to be wrong about that. But speaking as someone who has sat in a room with many a child who has been sexually abused......and some by the clergy.....I hope there is a special place in a literal hell for the perpetrators. These kids will never be the same again.....

As a past SW most kids are abused by their dad’s or step dad’s. Yes I hate them. Priests need to be able to marry and nothing good will come from getting rid of Francis. No dog in the fight either.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    As a past SW most kids are abused by their dad’s or step dad’s.

WHAT? WHAT?

I think you probably mean: children who are abused are usually abused by the father figure in their household.

The kids dad’s or step dads. Sometimes dear old grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So when did you get over that feeling?
    I think they are still mostly creeps, but not necessarily all dangerous creeps. I will say this: My gut feeling helped ensure I was not abused by priests.

I will say that the Catholic church at large is a creepy institution and is one heck of testament to how the brainwashing of children can last throughout an entire life even in the face of witnessing the most horrible crimes being committed and then covered up.

Watch the movie Spotlight. Then come join me at a Recovering From Religion/Life After Belief meeting!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Catholic schools held a lot of power over the students in the ones I attended. And if we had come home complaining of abuse we would have been branded liars.
    How can you give money to a church that did not jail, or at least remove the priests from further contact with victims? It is beyond me. If people did not put money in the basket, instead find a worthwhile charity they could break the back of the current church hierarchy

perhaps women need to be in the ranks. All these white men haven’t done so well.

As someone who is CINO, still on the Church rolls somewhere, I have mixed feelings about the Church. It is firmly planted in the Middle Ages--or maybe the Renaissance, if I'm feeling charitable--and there is much about it I would change. But the more progressive parishes have done a lot of good. Maybe it's time for another Reformation...

Thread Information