Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis Should Resign

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Catholic schools held a lot of power over the students in the ones I attended.
    I went to Catholic school for one day. The consensus was: "Not a good fit for anyone."

Hell, they were glad when I was allowed to quit CCD because they did not like me running amok intellectually and asking upsetting questions.

And if we had come home complaining of abuse we would have been branded liars.
    Still worth it, I think, to make a justified accusation.

How can you give money to a church that did not jail, or at least remove the priests from further contact with victims?
    Intellectual contortionism. That is how it is done.

It is beyond me. If people did not put money in the basket, instead find a worthwhile charity they could break the back of the current church hierarchy
    Or just keep it for groceries.

perhaps women need to be in the ranks. All these white men haven’t done so well.
    Women all over the US sexually assault middle school and high school kids. Google it. Teachers abusing students. It happened at my high school back in the day!

And the pope is a Latino. I seriously doubt being white and male is the problem.

UL, many more men abuse than women. Look at the stats.

I have a naive question: why is this church abuse issue coming up now? Have there been recent documented cases that the pope himself failed to address? Or, are we talking about decades old stuff?

I have not been paying attention because I have already heard all of it. Unless, there are newly uncovered cases of
    RECENT origin, those I dont know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    UL, many more men abuse than women. Look at the stats.
    Could there be an issue with reporting?

Yppej
    IL another church official issued a statement saying he warned Francis about the situation and he did nothing.

Cover up after cover up. Classic Catholic style.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have a naive question: why is this church abuse issue coming up now? Have there been recent documented cases that the pope himself failed to address? Or, are we talking about decades old stuff?

I have not been paying attention because I have already heard all of it. Unless, there are newly uncovered cases of
    RECENT origin, those I dont know about.
    In answer to your question:

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/0...says_hell.html

And this should make you want to puke:

On Sunday, a former Vatican ambassador to the U.S. released a statement charging that the pope knew about allegations against former Washington Archbishop (Cardinal) Theodore McCarrick, who has been credibly accused of sexual misconduct with seminarians and even minors.”

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/0...idence_va.html

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I went to Catholic school for one day. The consensus was: "Not a good fit for anyone."

Hell, they were glad when I was allowed to quit CCD because they did not like me running amok intellectually and asking upsetting questions.

Still worth it, I think, to make a justified accusation.

Intellectual contortionism. That is how it is done.

Or just keep it for groceries.

Women all over the US sexually assault middle school and high school kids. Google it. Teachers abusing students. It happened at my high school back in the day!

And the pope is a Latino. I seriously doubt being white and male is the problem.
    when you are a child in an abusive home you certainly don’t come home and report church abuse. You try to survive. Which is why you make a good target.
    The US Catholic Church was run by almost exclusively white men. The recent Pennsylvania report has resurfaced the call for pope to resign.

I am not apologizing for the Pope, for the Catholic clergy, or for the pervasive coverup of child molestation in the Church.

I am saying for myself, as a news consuming citizen (granted
    I dont focus much in The News any more) this seems old, uninteresting “news.” These revelations have been going on for years. This specific news covers “7 decades” and seems to focus on a letter from 1963. ? The statute of limitation has run out. I dont care about seminarians, anyway. They are adults.

I am more interested in what the Church is doing NOW, now that they have this giant body of criminal activity exposed. Have they truly changed? What happens NOW to a priest who molests children?

We were friends with a neighbor, a former priest, who spent time in jail for molestation. It was about 15 years ago. He was an Episcopal priest. He said his victim was 17 years old, nearly 18. A good story, dont know if it is true.

UL, no men are sexual predators in much larger numbers than women. Just as they are more often serial killers than women. Maybe testerone has something to do with it.

Thread Information