Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personality traits of people who practice voluntary simplicity?

Personality traits of people who practice voluntary simplicity?

I was thinking last night about the types of people I have encountered in the voluntary simplicity and minimalist communities.

I have noticed that certain personality traits pop up again and again.

It seems like people who value simplicity as a lifestyle are:
    -Individualistic (in their personal lives, not necessarily politically)
    -Question askers
    -Focused/even a bit controlling
    -Contrarian

Thoughts? Anyone else seen this or other traits come up again and again?

Sounds like a form of fanaticism. Why do you exist?

About six months after DH's passing, I was having a self-pity party as I walked down a street. Life was not much fun and I was wrestling with that concept. A woman walked by, flashed me the most glorious smile and said, "Hi". That was all. My pity party was over.

i decided that for the rest of my life, I would follow that woman's example and greet each person with a smile and a hi. It has been great fun. Some respond with enthusiasm, some not at all but in my regular walks, I talk to everyone via a wave, a smile or a nod. Those that respond share first names and chat. I am giving each one validation, social interaction and some joy and enthusiasm with life. It might be the amount of overnight rain in my rain gauge or whatever. Some have expressed need for greater listening and empathy, some to celebrate a new birth or special event, some to reminisce about the past.

I exist to give and serve but within parameters of my choosing. Why do you exist?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Fighting against our consumerist society requires energy and commitment. It is against the mainstream and usually requires asking why.

As I have gotten older and no longer care about what other people think of me, I question the purchases I consider to make sure they are best for me, the family and the environment. No longer in any quest for beauty, I consider health the best gift of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    It seems like people who value simplicity as a lifestyle are:
    -Individualistic (in their personal lives, not necessarily politically)
    -Question askers
    -Focused/even a bit controlling
    -Contrarian
    I think I could say the same thing about computer programmers (developers). Or lawyers. Not to diminish your claim -- and not in any way to associate masses of computer code with simplicity and minimalism -- but it may show that many interests seem to attract people who have the personality attributes you listed.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Some people prefer coffee to tea. Some people prefer free time to more things or expensive experiences. I don’t think you need to dress up such preferences in ideology or psychological profiling to understand them.

I love the idea of voluntary simplicity (obviously.. that's why I'm here) and rather than writing up a code of traits of followers of VS, I prefer to think about and read from and about the "heroes" of the VS movement like:

Duane Elgin
    Richard Gregg
    The Nearings
    William Coperthwaite
    Thoreau
    Many spiritual leaders like Gandhi, Quaker Richard Foster, .. shoot, that list could go on and on.

I admire them all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't think the opposite of minimalism is necessarily materialistic (as in must run out and spend on a ton on the latest shiny).

I think it's just a different way of viewing things sometimes, like some people keep things because it reminds them of times past, and it's just a way of anchoring their life, a way of making sense of it. As in: this thing takes me back to high school (ok some of us would rather not go back there), to my first job, to an old friendship, to my grandfather's house, etc.. Maybe they even hope to keep such memories when their memory grows less sharp etc.. I'm not strongly like this though I have some element of it, I'm playing devil's advocate.

As for advocates of voluntarily simplicity:
    maybe moralistic sometimes (live simply so others may simply live) - my framework is often moral, I don't apologize, just realize little is entirely black and white
    Trees don't grow on money

I was thinking about this at work just a little while ago, before I arrived home for lunch.

A coworker of mine lives very minimally. She does not have a TV, she has no clutter anywhere in her condo or her cube at work or her car. She is neat and organized. She lives as a minimalist, but does not claim the title.

She lives this way so she can take part in her hobbies -- rock climbing and skydiving. She saves money and is always ready to grab a rucksack and go to a cliff or drop zone.

I think that minimalists are drawn to certain hobbies and/or those engaged in certain hobbies tend to be minimalists.

Rock climber, traveling nomads, sky divers, trout bums, backpackers, and such -- these folks tend to live their daily lives minimally so they can maximize their hobby time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think that minimalists are drawn to certain hobbies and/or those engaged in certain hobbies tend to be minimalists.

Rock climber, traveling nomads, sky divers, trout bums, backpackers, and such -- these folks tend to live their daily lives minimally so they can maximize their hobby time.
    I think you need a sample size greater than two. I also think you're making a mistake many people make in statistics. Association is not causation.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

When I think about my younger self and all the time and $ I wasted collecting stuff I find it sickening. The only good thing is that many of the items have been donated to fundraisers for people to pay medical bills so that feels good. I was just at one on Saturday where a basket I made with beautiful old beer glasses was a raffle item.

Thread Information