Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most highly respected female politicians in the US

Most highly respected female politicians in the US

Just came in from a sunset-watching discussion with DH, and it occurred to me that he really doesn't like--in fact he hates--several female politicians. Of course Hillary tops the list, but close behind is Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren, Maxine Waters, and most recently, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. So I asked him which female politicians he respects. The only one he could think of was Susan Collins from ME but he couldn't even remember her name.

This man needs an education! So I tried to google female politicians and what popped up in the search was "hot female politicians." ??!!

Now I'm annoyed. So I'm coming to my favorite think-tank--the Simple Living Forum--and asking YOU, which US female politicians are the most admirable to you?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Chelsea Manning

Only one I ever really admired was Ann Richards and she is long gone.

I'm not sure I'd consider Chelsea Manning a politician, although she's certainly a public figure in a vaguely governmentalish(?) role.

Off the top of my head the first female politician that comes to mind when I think of highly respected is Kamala Harris. Christine Hallquist might join that list after she's been governor for a while. I'm curious, catherine, what your husband thinks about her?

Thinking outside the US bubble I'd certainly include Angela Merkel in my list. I suppose people with a different political viewpoint than me might include Maggie Thatcher in their list.

Williamsmith
    Isn’t it sad that women in the US have had the right to vote and run for public office for nearly a century and there is hardly any rememberence of one whom we can admire without thinking of other countries.

Manning was runner up for Marylands US Senate Primary Election for Democrats. That should qualify her as a politician. She was limited in her campaigning by nagging ill health.

Margaret Chase Smith
    Mary Louise Smith
    Clare Boothe Luce
    Sandra Day O'Connor
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    Shirley Chisholm
    Hattie Wyatt Caraway

Yppej
    Jean Shaheen.

Who passed the law giving women the right to vote?

Williamsmith
    I was referring to the 19th amendment. And I was thinking about Susan B Anthony’s arrest and conviction for voting earlier.

Warren for sure. She is thoughtful and well-spoken.

Madeleine Albright
    Angela Merkel
    RBG as previously stated
    Sonia Sotomayor
    Elena Kagan
    Condoleezza Rice

Reference articles:

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ejki.../#6c9042b11281

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolin.../#18b0cd865c1b

Thread Information