Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Most highly respected female politicians in the US

Is this thread about identity politics?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is it whistle blowing to indiscriminately broadcast large masses of data, most of which you haven’t read? Does it go without saying that you break an oath you freely took? That you make information available to the enemies of the country you swore to defend? That you betray people wearing the same uniform who would in other circumstances risk their lives for you?

You can try hiding behind some assumed moral equivalence or higher purpose if you like, but I don’t see how any reasonable person could see Manning as anything other than a treacherous, dishonorable vermin who by rights should still be behind bars.

As the late Senator McCain said’ “Her dishonor will last forever”.
    Let me take the opportunity to defend my admiration of Manning but ask that you not interpret this as either an invitation or a challenge to debate the validity of my personal preferences or convictions. You have your opinions. I have mine.

First, her status as a transgender person is of no consequence to me. She.....is a she - she is a politician , however unsuccessful and I admire her as a whistleblower. She properly served her time for the crimes she was convicted of.

The United States Constitution gives the President of the United States the “power of executive clemency”, which includes the ability to pardon and also commute sentences for federal crimes. Those who often refer to the Constitution for defense of more conservative values would do well to remember that it’s primary purpose is to ensure the rights of the citizenry are not abused. Chelsea Manning is square with the house.

Past Presidents have pardoned and commuted others. Bush - Scooter Libby, Clinton - Marc Rich, Ford - Richard Nixon, Nixon - Jimmy Hoffa, Carter - Oscar Collazo, Buchanan- Brigham Young (for slaughtering a civilian wagon train)....you get my point.

Up until the point where she was released, Manning spent more time in prison than anyone previously convicted of releasing information to the media. Her original sentence of 35 years was obviously extreme and intended to send a message to any future whistleblowers in order to discourage them from taking action that would embarrass the government.

Manning provided video footage to Wikileaks that showed the killing of citizens and journalists by US helicopter attacks ....a video known as “collateral murder.” The information she revealed disclosed US government and military human rights violations and violations of international law.

She acted in the public interest and was treated cruely inhumanely and degraded during her pre trial detention of almost a year.....in violation of her 5th and 8th amendment rights.

In my estimation, Manning displayed an unbelievable amount of courage in exposing our governments involvement in heinous activity on a worldwide stage and shows that our military and its administration is not above committing its own terrorism in the form of asymmetrical warfare. These are things a public which supports its military financially and patriotically should know.

Senator McCain was a bloodthirsty war monger. May he Rest In Peace. I am glad his suffering is over.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    She acted in the public interest and was treated cruely inhumanely and degraded during her pre trial detention of almost a year.....in violation of her 5th and 8th amendment rights.
    But well within the confines of the Uniform Code Of Military Justice which was the governing authority.

Senator McCain was a bloodthirsty war monger.

I disagree, he was very well versed in the philosophy of peace through strength. We need more like him.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Brings to mind the very different treatment that traitor Oliver North received:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_North

But back to the topic, I'd say keep an eye on Krysten Sinema, the Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate from Arizona. Our primary was just held and she'll be facing Republican Martha McSally in November. She has a real shot at replacing outgoing Senator Flake.
    Last edited by Lainey; 9-10-18 at 12:07pm.

I'm cheered--at a time when there's very little to be cheery about--that there is such a wide variety of women and men of different ages and backgrounds running for office, a lot of talent, enthusiasm, and purpose. Dare I hope that people are "woke" at long last?

Williamsmith
    I’m kind of resurrecting this thread for one more mention. Did I miss it or did anyone mention Jill Stein? She’s got quite a resume. She has more than a few things right in many peoples estimation. The corporate political elite might want to take notice of her.

I’m kind of resurrecting this thread for one more mention. Did I miss it or did anyone mention Jill Stein? She’s got quite a resume. She has more than a few things right in many peoples estimation. The corporate political elite might want to take notice of her.
    I’d take more notice if she had polled better than 1.06%.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’d take more notice if she had polled better than 1.06%.
    Well, that’s 1.06% more than both of us together got.

Well, that’s 1.06% more than both of us together got.
    You’re being too modest. She outspent us by millions and she only beat us by one percent.

Thread Information