Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most highly respected female politicians in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Isn’t it sad that women in the US have had the right to vote and run for public office for nearly a century and there is hardly any rememberence of one whom we can admire without thinking of other countries.

Manning was runner up for Marylands US Senate Primary Election for Democrats. That should qualify her as a politician. She was limited in her campaigning by nagging ill health.
    Yes, very sad. I just pulled this quote from this article in The Nation:
    America now ranks ninety-eighth in the world for percentage of women in its national legislature, down from 59th in 1998. That’s embarrassing: just behind Kenya and Indonesia, and barely ahead of the United Arab Emirates.

As for Chelsea Manning and Christine Hallquist (jp1, I don't think DH has formed an opinion yet.)--it's interesting that you guys have offered two transgendered females. I am not disputing that both are admirable--especially Chelsea Manning, but my question is, out of the short list of about a dozen women you guys have offered me, why are two transgendered? Is there something about their experience in a male body for many years that primed them for political leadership? Or is there some other reason?

And can we count as politicians on this very short list bae's & Garndr's choices of Supreme Court Justices Sandra Day O'Connor, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and Sonia Sotomayor? They didn't have to be elected, they were appointed, and their function is judicial, not legislative.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, very sad. I just pulled this quote from this article in The Nation:
    America now ranks ninety-eighth in the world for percentage of women in its national legislature, down from 59th in 1998. That’s embarrassing: just behind Kenya and Indonesia, and barely ahead of the United Arab Emirates.

Well, as soon as we overturn all the laws that prohibit women from running for and holding office this trend will surely change!

I am an Elizabeth Warren fan myself. Though I would like it is she dropped the identity politics crap. I'd still vote for her over most anyone else in a Presidential election.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Who passed the law giving women the right to vote?
    Those awful Republicans!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Chelsea Manning
    Apparently treason is no longer much of an issue for Democratic primary voters in these enlightened times.

What about Kirsten Gillibrand?

Treason is trending--with a bullet. Money and kompromat have worked their magic. I haven't formed an opinion of Chelsea Manning, but I respect whistle-blowers in general, like Reality Winner who was jailed for pointing out an important truth.

Off the top of my head: My own senator Patty Murray (unsung and a hard worker), Kamala Harris, Mazie Hirono, Maxine Waters...Of course the Notorious RBG...I have a good deal of respect for Hillary Clinton, who endured thirty years of lies and innuendo, did her job(s) and held her head up throughout. Nancy Pelosi, too, is an indefatigable force. And I don't know much about her, but Tulsi Gabbard bears watching.

I'm sorry your husband can't think of even one worthy female figure in politics; I'm sure he's not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Apparently treason is no longer much of an issue for Democratic primary voters in these enlightened times.
    Or Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

As for Chelsea Manning and Christine Hallquist (jp1, I don't think DH has formed an opinion yet.)--it's interesting that you guys have offered two transgendered females. I am not disputing that both are admirable--especially Chelsea Manning, but my question is, out of the short list of about a dozen women you guys have offered me, why are two transgendered? Is there something about their experience in a male body for many years that primed them for political leadership? Or is there some other reason?
    That's an interesting question. And one that I don't have an answer to, although if I were to guess it'd be, and least partly, because society has started to realize that trans people aren't scary freaks, but instead just different in a certain way, in the same way it has become less of an issue for a Catholic to be elected president or to vote for a gay or lesbian person running for office.

As this article points out, more women are running for office than have done so in the past. Perhaps that is/was part of the reason there are less women in office than men.

http://time.com/5361122/women-congre...ctions-record/

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I haven't formed an opinion of Chelsea Manning, but I respect whistle-blowers in general, like Reality Winner who was jailed for pointing out an important truth.
    I’ll say one thing. Given her history with betraying her word, watching her swear the oath of office would have been comedy gold.

Thread Information