Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most highly respected female politicians in the US

Ruth Bader Ginsberg
    Condoleeza Rice
    Sandra Day O’Conner

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’ll say one thing. Given her history with betraying her word, watching her swear the oath of office would have been comedy gold.
    Being deceptive goes with being a whistle blower. Goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Being deceptive goes with being a whistle blower. Goes without saying.
    Is it whistle blowing to indiscriminately broadcast large masses of data, most of which you haven’t read? Does it go without saying that you break an oath you freely took? That you make information available to the enemies of the country you swore to defend? That you betray people wearing the same uniform who would in other circumstances risk their lives for you?

You can try hiding behind some assumed moral equivalence or higher purpose if you like, but I don’t see how any reasonable person could see Manning as anything other than a treacherous, dishonorable vermin who by rights should still be behind bars.

As the late Senator McCain said’ “Her dishonor will last forever”.

Like I said, I don't know enough about Manning, or her crime, to weigh in on her.

Is it whistle blowing to indiscriminately broadcast large masses of data, most of which you haven’t read? Does it go without saying that you break an oath you freely took? That you make information available to the enemies of the country you swore to defend? That you betray people wearing the same uniform who would in other circumstances risk their lives for you?

You can try hiding behind some assumed moral equivalence or higher purpose if you like, but I don’t see how any reasonable person could see Manning as anything other than a treacherous, dishonorable vermin who by rights should still be behind bars.

As the late Senator McCain said’ “Her dishonor will last forever”.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Apparently treason is no longer much of an issue for Democratic primary voters in these enlightened times.
    Nor for current Republicans ...

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Nor for current Republicans ...
    Perhaps, but that in no way justifies or excuses Manning’s vile crimes.

Even if some of the allegations against Trump are proven to be true, I don’t think they would quite sink to the depth of depravity it takes to betray your fellow soldiers serving in harm’s way.

Those awful Republicans!
    I bet there were a lot of women in that era who did not want the right to vote because it meant conscription and bucket duty.

Among active politicians I like Elizabeth Warren. She is well spoken, rational, respectful, and intelligent. At least from my perspective on the more liberal side of things. I believe she was instrumental in digging us out of the financial crisis and has been an advocate of consumer protection, though her methods are probably not in line with fiscal conservatives. Not quite as far left as Bernie and not quite as political as Hillary.

I'd also add Gabby Giffords. I'm not so sure of her politics, but she is a hero figure in my book for overcoming adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'd also add Gabby Giffords. I'm not so sure of her politics, but she is a hero figure in my book for overcoming adversity.
    I'd add Tammy Duckworth for similar grit; also, she's got a formidable resume', with a PhD and a Purple Heart.

Thread Information