Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the issue with secular mindfulness

the issue with secular mindfulness

sigh, integrity again, good and bad ya know.

I have a connection with a woman who has a non-profit to teach mindfulness, She is just now getting it back up and running after a break. It has been great to talk to her about my role and earning a side income. I would be something like the Practice in Nature teacher. It is weird because she really knows nothing about the Buddhist side of all of this, but I was just excited to get to do the work. I would be taking adults out to nature to teach them how to practice in nature, something I have done literally for the 30 years I have been practicing and very purposefully the last 6 years including retreats.

Her funding plan is to go to the weed industry and ask them to donate to the non-profit. It seemed a little weird, I suggested the healthy living grant money through the pot taxes that I have worked with before but those of course are a lot of work. So we are moving along, and I talk to my close friend about this to get some feedback. Well duh, the 5th precept is no intoxicants, and right livelihood is very clear on specific industries to avoid. As soon as she brought it up all my uncertainty was clear. Seriously pot shops funding mindfulness. I am sure it will work but I can't do it.

It was already strange to go to events she hosted for mindfulness teachers and have both meat and alcohol. That wasn't so weird except when this one couple acted like I was from outer space when I said I didn't drink or eat meat. It is really not that weird,

So I will have to email or meet her in person, I will much better knowing why I was so uneasy now.

So can I not practice mindfulness if I am not Buddhist and I eat meat and drink alcohol?

I understand that your Buddhist beliefs espouse mindfulness and proscribe meat and alcohol and I take no issue with that. But if others believe mindfulness still can be achieved (or at least attempted) despite occasionally smoking a joint (or using cannibis as an alternative medical treatment) or sometimes having pork chops for dinner, well -- why isn't that possible for others?

Or am I reading this wrong?

btw, I saw your other thread on the change in funding; good luck on an opportunity that sounds right up your alley!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I wouldn’t care where the money is coming from unless it was illegal.

I don't understand, as my brother is a Buddhist and also drinks a lot and also eats meat. And many people use marijuana for medical reasons. And at weddings I will have a glass of champagne, so does this disqualify me from doing the practice you are talking about?
    I don't understand where you are coming from on this one.

If your approach to mindfulness is strictly from the Buddhist perspective, but you are working with someone who approaches mindfulness differently, it's just a matter of finding common ground.

I agree that probably most Buddhists would abstain from intoxicants, and I also personally believe that most intoxicants can interfere with mindfulness or awareness. I also believe that Buddhists are probably mostly vegetarian, because of the First Precept, Do not kill. But there are exceptions.

I also agree that sometimes one can feel like a fish out of water if you are a vegetarian teetotaler in a culture where drinking and eating meat is a given.

But, as Buddha said, "the finger pointing at the moon is not the moon." So try not to judge too harshly and appreciate the fact that you get to teach your passion.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    I've attended some classes where mindfulness is practiced as part of the overall class and it has never been in conflict with any secular ideas presented in the class - the classes themselves have all been secular and alcohol and meat consumption is never discussed. I know some people find religion and relaxation stuff to be at odds, which is weird to me. I was once mentioning a yoga class to my Christian roommate and she said, "I'll pray for you." And she was serious. Somehow she thought my soul was in danger while doing yoga at the Y.

Yppej
    Don't only Buddhists who have taken vows avoid intoxicants?

I also know many Buddhists who drink and eat meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Don't only Buddhists who have taken vows avoid intoxicants?

I also know many Buddhists who drink and eat meat.

Maybe they’re not very good Buddhists. You know, like Christians who are sinners and go to church? We all carry-on in life doing the best we can do but we may not always reach the principles laid out for us.

Sorry that wasnt very clear, it is my personal practice and I don't think anyone needs to follow any rules to practice mindfulness. It does feel weird however to feel out of place in this group when I already feel put of place in so many ways. Just my personal issue really, i am constantly surprised at how many Buddhists don't know the precepts. When i do dharma talks i really talk about how taking these on as a spiritual practice is beneficial and be joyful

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I wouldn’t care where the money is coming from unless it was illegal.
    At a federal level pot is illegal. My mega-corp insurance company employer requires us to auto-decline any insurance submission related to the cannabis industry for that reason. As do most of the other American insurance companies. (from what I understand there are Bermuda based insurers that will write this business all day long. Probably at very profitable rates due to the limited competition.)

My personal opinion is that pot should be completely legal because the "war on drugs" does far more harm than good, but until they make me CEO I follow the rules that I'm given and that includes not quoting insurance for businesses that are considered illegal at the federal level.

Thread Information