Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facial Recognition Technology.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Facial Recognition Technology.....

I was just reading where a man with a fake French passport was caught and arrested at a US airport.....what busted him was facial recognition technology showing his face was not a match for the face on the fake French passport he was attempting to travel on. My question is this: What do you think of this technology, good, bad, or indifferent? I can see in this case that it's a good thing in this application as who knows the true intent of this individual traveling on a fake passport, especially after terrorist acts have been committed in the past by individuals with fake id.

On the other hand, I can see the potential for abuse and I'm not liking the lack of checks and balances on the power of individuals entrusted with technology such as this........My take is that this technology can serve great good and great bad. What do you think? Rob

Yes.

It is technology. It can be used for good or evil.

It's getting exponentially better over time too. In 10-15 years, $25 consumer devices will be able to recognize anyone on Earth. Horse has left the barn.

I would say that between facial recognition software, modern transaction processing, GPS, data mining, ubiquitous security cameras and cell phone wielding social justice warriors, the expectation of privacy anywhere outside a bunker in rural Idaho is fairly minimal. And that’s assuming you’re not being monitored from space or via drone.

Oh. And Alexa just reminded me that Siri is always listening, and will chime in with unsolicited advice from time to time unless I wrap her in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Oh. And Alexa just reminded me that Siri is always listening, and will chime in with unsolicited advice from time to time unless I wrap her in tinfoil.
    Ha!

Advice is one thing but I still creep myself out when I enter a room and say "Good morning, Alexa!"

Privacy is a thing of the past. My neighbor just installed surveillance cameras on his camp up here, and he showed me his 5 camera screens, and lo and behold, our house is in the camera field of view. I told DH, that it might be a good thing if someone is trying to get into our house, but on the whole, the idea that my neighbor can view me from his home in Long Island when I'm my front yard swinging on the swing like a little kid or my DH standing at a bush peeing is not very comforting.

On the NJ front, I'm constantly being bombarded on my neighborhood FB group by photos of the surveillance and/or doorbell cameras of my neighbors--every kid trying to sell a product to get through college, or a solar panel salesman, or any "suspicious" person standing at the bottom of the driveway talking to another gets broadcasted in the interest of good neighbor vigilance.

We have to learn to adapt to this "brave (or fearful) new world."

PS. Should I ask my neighbor to adjust the camera, or do you think there's an advantage to piggybacking on his security system?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I personally would ask him to take my cottage out of his view. That's creepy.

Yppej
    Not a camera, but one neighbor saw another neighbor's floodlights go off and an unknown man go into their back yard and called the police. It turned out to be a very drunk resident from a couple doors down sitting on their back steps confused as to why he couldn't get into what he thought was his house. We installed motion sensor floodlights recently too and the neighbors can look all they want.

Personally I would ask that the camera be redirected. If I was concerned about my property I'd invest in my own cameras so that I could control them.

I turned my old iphone into a security camera that records anyone who comes through our front door. It cost nothing, the app was free and now I know when the cat sitter shows up when we're away.

Yppej
    Jp1 can you please tell me what the app is? I have a friend giving me an old iphone next week.

App is short for application. Application is like a short little computer program.

Each app does a few things well.

I have an app that shows me my bank balance - rather than logging into the website. I have an app that shows me the current temp and weather report for Phoenix. I have an app that takes me to my password protector (1Password) so I don’t have to go to the full site on the internet.

There are thousands of apps.

Dont assume the “apps” work better than just going to the website.

I have downloaded apps and then deleted them when they dont work all that well.

Thread Information