Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oak Tree Devotion

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    This is the tree I love. My town is drafting a treasured protected tree list, and I submitted it. Pacific Madrone.
    Attachment 2481
    Nice, Kay! I was hoping someone would break the seal and post a picture!

Here's mine (unfortunately with the iris lilies curse)

IMG_4494.jpgIMG_4495.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here's mine (unfortunately with the iris lilies curse)
    And here they are again with the Alan cure.

1.jpg

2.jpg
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We have a very large elm tree in our backyard. it provides so much shade for the yard and the house! We're pretty sure that it's protection has saved us hail damage on the roof over the years. I remember thinking years ago that I never wanted to move into a house that had just been built in a new development because there were no mature trees.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    And here they are again with the Alan cure.
    Thanks, Alan!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    We have a very large elm tree in our backyard. it provides so much shade for the yard and the house! We're pretty sure that it's protection has saved us hail damage on the roof over the years. I remember thinking years ago that I never wanted to move into a house that had just been built in a new development because there were no mature trees.
    When we built our house in a new development 23 years ago, we had the builder leave the existing trees in the back and side yard areas alone. Iris Lilly will hate this, but we have a veritable forest surrounding our suburban 3/4 acre.

IMG_20180831_150220.jpg

IMG_20180831_150237.jpg

IMG_20180831_150308.jpg
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Nice, Alan!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Love the devotion and all the tree pictures. My dd got a little oak sapling from graduation and planted it in the front yard (where we had a rotting tree removed). She is tendering taking care of it and so for the mower has spared it. If it ultimately survives, in about 10-20 years, I'll share a picture. lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

What a lovely thread - thanks for starting it dado potato! And lovey pictures, you all - "someday" I'm going to figure out how to post pix, lol. I love trees. Our pasture is mostly scrub, but it's just lying fallow and I want to put some trees back there. Our yard, though, is has quite a few - some small, some large. When we moved in there were three large maples, a huge hackberry, 5 dwarf fruit trees, and a good sized mulberry. Over the years, we've added a sycamore, a serviceberry, a pear, a tulip poplar, a walnut, a soft maple, a hard maple, and a swamp oak (our latest edition, which is really tiny!) When we had to have one of our giant maples removed earlier this year, I cried. Dh thought it was because of the check we had to write , but I was, and am still, mourning that tree. I want to plant a dawn redwood to replace it, but DD wants to put the redwood elsewhere and put an oakleaf hydrangea or other large blooming shrub where the tree was, since it's sunny there without the tree, and we have little sun for growing such stuff...so that's up in the air. I'm sure Iris Lily with empathize with her desire for some sun loving plants, lol.

I was always so comforted by trees, in my less-than-perfect childhood. I tell people I was raised by a grove of trees. Yes, I'm literally a treehugger.

We have hundreds, if not thousands of trees on our property, but a really special one was a burr oak in back of the house. What a beautiful specimen it was. It was fairly young. My guess is that it was about 25-30 years old. One night we had a terrible electrical storm. I heard a horrible loud crack out back. Well, the tree was hit by lightening. It has died. It's slowly splitting and loosing limbs. I was so sad. I like to think that it took the hit for us, to save our house. I am beginning to see little burr oak seedlings around the property. So at least it's children made it. Trees are special beings.

Thread Information