Thread: Hiking with all-trails

Hiking with all-trails

All-trails is now an app! I know I was not going to put any more apps on my new phone, but it the hiking database that I need. I am so excited and planning my weekend hikes.

I want to try some new hikes in the area that would be good for this side job I am doing taking people to meditate in nature. I have my favorites, and I could actually go to a new place now and then.

Only bummer is that I keep on hitting my toe on the stairs, the same toe. It is all funny colored now and I bandaid it to the next one during the day. I also have to wear my supportive shoes instead of dressier ones. That is okay because I like my chuck taylors and vans better anyway.

Did you tell us about the side job? That sounds pretty cool and I was unaware.

A little, it is with a start up non-profit so there is no guarantee. I trust that my friend in charge can pull it off however. She was basically running another similar organization when the board fired her because, well people are not always well ya know. So she went back and started her old non-profit back up. It is to teach science based mindfulness, charge organizations and then use some of the profits and fundraising to provide programming for youth in crisis. The business plan is leading towards us all making a living at this, we will see. I am happy with side job status right now.

So my title I will have to look up again, basically taking people on mindfulness hikes, maybe day long nature based retreats, etc. I have done a few retreats that are specifically about being outside and practicing in nature. The last one was so awesome. I am not sure I can do much before winter comes because they are just starting up, but I wanted to check out hiking areas.

Now the stupid toe is not big deal but the cold that is causing coughing is going to have me running to the store for depends. Sigh

Does the app work where there is no cell service? Do you download the maps? I'm wondering how much space that uses on your phone, and if the maps are PDF - are they fairly easy to read and updated?

I don't rely on my phone in the wilderness. I use a locally based web site that has good maps and instructions (water access, bear/cougar warnings, alternative routes, fire updates) and I print it out on paper. I only have to walk about 1/2 mile from my house to be out of cell range.

I've used alltrails a bit (mostly to check trail ratings) but I've really only scratched the surface.

Sorry about your cold/cough! It is going around in Oregon too.

Here in the Sierras cell service not very reliable.

I am able to just use it ahead of time to research some trails. I am looking for a place to take grandbaby the first time. Then if I want i can download a map or directions to my tablet. The tablet takes better photos so i usually bring that. Unless it is a trail that is not well marked i just need to get to the trailhead

Thanks Zoe, that makes sense.

The trails around my town are a real maze and not well marked at all, so having printed directions makes a huge difference to me (saving miles in heading out dead ends.)

For established trails, I do like all trails for instructions on getting to the trailhead and parking. Maybe I'll try the app.
    Thank you!

Thread Information