Thread: Peaches and more peaches

Peaches and more peaches

So the house we bought in Colorado came with a good-sized peach tree. I have never had a fruit tree before other than figs, pomegranates and loquats. Last year, the peach tree produced very little fruit and what it did the squirrels got. This year however despite four hail storms and being hit by a neighbor's truck, the tree has produced a bumper crop of delicious peaches. DH and his neighbor friend have been picking several times a day and there is quite a bit more to go. Six five gallon buckets so far. I have been cutting them up to freeze and giving lots away. I am amazed at the bounty of one tree.

Sometimes they need trauma to produce their best, I guess. A peach tree sounds wonderful. I always wish we'd put in a small orchard when we bought our place. I grew up with pear trees (never liked pears and my mom used every last one they produced) and cherry trees. Some of my fondest memories are laying on the back of my horses and eating cherries right out of the tree. At a friends house we'd eat plums from her horses. DH being from SC is very particular about peaches. He doesn't think the AR peaches I can get here are good enough.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That is great! Yes it is amazing how much one big healthy tree in full production can generate.

Peach ice cream! I would write that in all caps but politeness says not to, because that would be yelling.

Seems like most peach recipes are for something sweet and dessert like. I am going to make an Amish peach kuchen since it is lower in sugar but will look for non-dessert recipes. However, I start drooling when I think of my favorite - fresh peaches and vanilla ice cream.

I canned some peach salsa to use up the last of the peaches I bought after making jam and dehydrating a bunch for oatmeal.

Peaches are my all time favourite fruit and they are only good at this time of year.
    If I have any extra I cut up skin on and freeze in small snack baggies. The perfect
    amount to put in one bowl of oatmeal. Very yummy in Jan and Feb !!!
    I mention skins on because I will only eat fresh peaches peeled, but in the oatmeal
    the skins are not noticeable....lol

Sounds wonderful, Pinkytoe! I bought some peaches at a farm place here, but they were from Georgia. I did peel them and froze them. Peach cobbler, peaches with ice cream, etc. Yum! I suppose you could make peach jam, but that takes a bit of work. I wonder if there is a peach freezer jam, like there is strawberry?

Thread Information