Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting breakfast sugar

Because I had to eat soft food for 6 months I cannot stand eggs any more. I ate too many.

We have found such a difference in munchies now that we have stopped eating sugar/grains and processed foods. In the morning we have an egg scramble with veggies from the garden and cheese or eggs over easy, bacon and 1/2 avocado. Many days we don't even get hungry enough for lunch and might have a handful of nuts. Sugar is the devil..... now that we have been away from it for several months we rarely even think about it.

I'm a bad breakfast eater because I always feel rushed to get to my computer. So my go-to breakfast is a banana, but I do believe that bananas are a lot of nutritional bang for the buck.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If I don't have hard-boiled eggs on hand and am too lazy or impatient to make some, a big dollop of peanut butter - sometimes eaten sort of like a lollipop right from the spoon - is my go-to morning protein.

I just boiled some eggs, got raw almonds, but threw in a bag of potato chips and onion dip. Still not too bad,

And made herbal fruity tea with stevia to put in the fridge for later.

Because I had to eat soft food for 6 months I cannot stand eggs any more. I ate too many.
    I'm with you, I can only stand so many of those eggs - no wonder people choose to skip breakfast.
    Trees don't grow on money

Protein shakes with unsweetened almond milk are my breakfast about half the time. I add a piece of fruit and a few greens depending on what is around. I am in the school that carbs and small amounts of simple sugars are not necessarily bad, but need to be balanced with proteins. I make my own granola and sweeten with some applesauce and maple syrup with a generous amount of walnuts.

i am physically active early in the day and do not worry so much about carbohydrates.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    This. It's not hunger ZG feels; it's the precipitous dip in blood sugar levels caused by the sweetened yogurt or whatever may go into the oatmeal. Take in less sugar (and maybe more fat; it's not the bogeyman so many say it is) and you'll not feel hungry even though you're eating pretty much the same amount of food.
    I gotta have a bit of brown sugar in my steel cut oats. With some chia, toasted walnuts and a knob of butter. Mornings are my weakness, because I also have my one cup of tea but it's sweetened with sugar. I have not found an alternative that tastes ok to me. Then I'm good most of the rest of the day. The oatmeal 'lasts' longer if I pair it with an egg to eat with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I gotta have a bit of brown sugar in my steel cut oats. With some chia, toasted walnuts and a knob of butter. Mornings are my weakness, because I also have my one cup of tea but it's sweetened with sugar. I have not found an alternative that tastes ok to me. Then I'm good most of the rest of the day. The oatmeal 'lasts' longer if I pair it with an egg to eat with it.
    Exactly. Nothing wrong with a little sweetness. Thing is, many people have no idea how carbohydrate-laden many foods are. That "balanced breakfast" of cereal, toast, and orange juice that Kellogg's wants to sell you? Nothing but carbs, with very little fat and protein to make it "last". Many commercial yogurts and granolas and even some other popular breakfast foods, like pancakes, have carbohydrate levels equivalent to candy bars. But most people feel far more virtuous eating a bowl of "all-natural" muesli than they do downing a Snickers bar. Or two.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm on a kick of almonds & banana for breakfast (which I eat about noon:-) and then oatmeal for lunch (about 3-4pm). Tempeh and hummus salad for dinner. I recently added in 1-2 protein shakes a day as I struggle to get the protein I'm told need.

Thread Information