Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting breakfast sugar

cutting breakfast sugar

In my quest to cut down sugar I found that I have some type of sugar in breakfast often. I have either eggs with veggies, yogurt or oatmeal. Then I have a protein bar for my 2nd breakfast because I get to hungry by 9 am. Over the summer I mostly eat the yogurt, but I switched to cottage cheese the last 2 weeks. I am finding that I am not starving as quickly, overall I may be hungry but not starving as often. I have also lost 1 lb, OMG at this age 1 lb is significant and so much work. But doable, because the longer I go with cutting sugar, the more my body adjusts and feels good.

Eating sugar (and refined carbs in general) causes a rise in insulin, which lowers blood sugar and makes you hungry again; it's a vicious cycle. Some people are more susceptible to this than others; hyperinsulinemia develops into diabetes in them.

A breakfast composed of sugar, fruit, and cereal and/or toast sets you up for hunger; that's why "grazing" has become standard in this country. Eggs and full-fat, sugar-free yogurt or cottage cheese should see you through until lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Eggs and full-fat, sugar-free yogurt or cottage cheese should see you through until lunch.
    This. It's not hunger ZG feels; it's the precipitous dip in blood sugar levels caused by the sweetened yogurt or whatever may go into the oatmeal. Take in less sugar (and maybe more fat; it's not the bogeyman so many say it is) and you'll not feel hungry even though you're eating pretty much the same amount of food.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am obsessed with the single serve guacamole I've found in the grocery store....this ties in with less sugar, more fat for satisfaction. I dip carrot sticks and cucumber slices in it.

For yogurt, we just buy the large cartons of full fat plain, add a small quantity of fruit and top with sliced almonds.

My son tells me I ruin my whole day of eating by putting 1/2&1/2 in my coffee. (sigh...but I like it)
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    My son tells me I ruin my whole day of eating by putting 1/2&1/2 in my coffee. (sigh...but I like it)
    Agreed--use heavy cream.

As I get older
    I have figured out that a breakfast of an egg or two, many mornings is the best. That protein sticks with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Agreed--use heavy cream.
    Our neighbors moved and gave us all of their stuff in the refrigerator includng a gallon of heavy cream. I had cream soups, cream in my coffee, cream “topping” for the dogs, etc for weeks. It was heavenly!

I realize that I am capable of buying this stuff, but gads, once
    i start down that path there is no turning back! So no, I wont. Maybe I can ask for cream for a birthday present, yeah, thats the ticket, a special occasion food.

Today i forgot to pack up cottage cheese so i ate red peppers, hummus and sunflower seeds! I start at 6:30 and left about 10 but was fine.

I must have half and half or cream, i have been using a half package of stevia in my tea for just a touch of sweet. I like full fat food, being veggie it is naturally lower fat. I read that brains prone to depression need good fat,

Thread Information