Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Florida stand your ground law finally works!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    People have a right to be in a neighborhood where they don’t live. We enjoy taking our dogs to different places to walk. Does that mean someone that lives in that neighborhood has a right to follow me?
    Actually, if you are in my neighborhood and don't live here, you have no right to be here. The entire community is private, the roads are not public, if you have no business here you are trespassing, which is illegal here. We have a constant stream of grifters and petty criminals who wander through here trying to take advantage of the fact that there is almost no law enforcement and about 1/2 of the homes are empty of inhabitants during most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    He reported the "intruder" (who wasn't one); that was sufficient. There's absolutely no scenario where he wasn't in the wrong, IMO.
    Did he commit an aggressive act? What evidence was presented of that? What did the jury find?

I would definitely feel threatened if someone was following me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would definitely feel threatened if someone was following me.
    That probably wouldn't meet the standard required for you to defend yourself.

All depends on the details of course - *how* are they following you? What are they saying or doing that is making you uncomfortable and threatened?

I wouldn’t use force to stop it. I would flee. I don’t want to be around unstable people.

I didn’t realize that where you live isn’t public.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Then hopefully he's smart enough not to put himself in a risky situation.
    Change the pronouns to she's and herself and it sounds like women being blamed for being raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Change the pronouns to she's and herself and it sounds like women being blamed for being raped.
    Nope. The case of someone getting all judgy and aggressive because they think someone shouldn't have parked in a handicap spot isn't the same at all. In the case of a rape the woman was never the instigator. The self appointed parking police was.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Did he commit an aggressive act? What evidence was presented of that? What did the jury find?
    The fact remains that Zimmerman didn't heed the PD's advice and stop stalking his prey, which resulted in Trayvon's death. We don't know what happened, since the only other witness is conveniently dead.

"Zimmerman has had other encounters with the law, including two incidents in 2005, five incidents in 2013, and other incidents in following years."--Wikipedia.

He's a thug, pure and simple.

That kid lost his life for no reason. Zimmerman should be in prison.