Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida stand your ground law finally works!

Yppej
    Acting fast reminds me years ago I tried out a video game someone recommended. I hated it. The whole premise was anyone could be hostile so you scored points by killing people as soon as you saw them.

Shooting people for yelling and pushing you down seems like the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Shooting people for yelling and pushing you down seems like the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.
    What if the victim has multiple sclerosis, can’t get back up and the pusher threatens to kill him?

Different story then WS.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    What if the victim has multiple sclerosis, can’t get back up and the pusher threatens to kill him?
    Then hopefully he's smart enough not to put himself in a risky situation. As it is the people who seem to be most making use of the law think it's called "pick a fight and stand your ground when you start losing that fight."

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Then hopefully he's smart enough not to put himself in a risky situation. As it is the people who seem to be most making use of the law think it's called "pick a fight and stand your ground when you start losing that fight."
    Exactly. Like the thug who started it all, George Zimmerman. The "itching for a fight" crowd.
    It should be called the "License to Kill" law.

Absolutely Jane!

Okay, so I'm pretty much an asshole. With that as a given, I say or do something that pisses one or more of you guys off and you decide to teach me a lesson in humility by kicking my ass. Do I have a right to defend myself, including using lethal force, if your reaction to my assholery make me fear for my life or physical well being?

I think I do, but most of the responses here seem to be that I must just take the beating and possible death because I obviously deserve it. Remind me never to hurt any of your feelings, intentional or otherwise.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

No one has a right to kick your ass even if you are being a asshole. Walking away from confrontation is the best choice.

It is odd. Most other states have similar laws to Florida's, or have stand-your-ground in practice because of other features of their code (like my state). Why is Florida such a hot button?

I have not noticed the streets in Washington State running red with blood from stand-your-ground actions, though that has been the law here for 50+ years.

As to Alan's question, the answer there very much depends on the particulars of the encounter.

Thread Information