Thread: Andrew Yang 2020?

Andrew Yang 2020?

I happened to see a review for this Democratic candidate's recent book and his ideas got me to thinking about the "train wreck" coming for the US due to rising technology and the growing number of citizens who can barely eke by. Sounds like his primary platform is universal basic income. One part of me thinks that is entitlement and the other part thinks it ain't gonna be pretty when all these folks run out of options to pay their bills. Thoughts?

If we do as he proposes, and pay everybody a thousand dollars a month funded by a value added tax, wouldn’t prices just rise proportionately to the new income?

I don't think prices would rise proportionately for those who really have nothing. Like you give a homeless person $1000 a month and many will be better off - people that really have nothing (some of them would qualify for disability now though but it may be too complex). You give people that go to bed hungry $1000 a month and there is no way food prices rise that much proportionately. So I really don't think proportionate rise would at all describe what would happen at the bottom, but it might kick in to a degree somewhat higher up than absolute poverty and want, and then depending on location, yea it's easy to raise rents in dense urban areas, but that might not have much to do with say rural poverty.

I think there might be issues funding it, it's not just another social program afterall, it's a brand new thing, but that's a separate argument from whether it would help the bottom if it could be funded. I think there is no way it wouldn't make an impact on extreme poverty in the U.S..
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I just went and read about his plan and it answered a bunch of questions including the inflation one. Most welfare programs would go away. With 1k/month homeless people could move to a low cost of living and rent a apartment or room. This would enable them to become employed. It is a old idea and studies support it. It might revitalize rural areas as people wouldn’t have to follow jobs. The studies show that people work more not less.

I could see differences between the Bugatti and Bologna market segments much like SS has a redistributive effect.