Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is U.S. Capitalism On The Brink Of Collapse?

Since my DIL is from Poland I know a lot more about Europe than I previously did. The people that stayed in Poland didn’t do as well as those that left. However, they don’t have to worry about paying for health care but do have to worry if they ever need highly specialized care as I have mentioned before. Sylwia would be dead if she had not moved here.

Also 2 people where I live making minimum wage can’t afford more than a studio apartment. Something is seriously wrong with this. A family now needs to make 80k/year to buy a house. The good paying unskilled jobs are gone and wages have not kept pace with prices. This is unsubstainable.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Also 2 people where I live making minimum wage can’t afford more than a studio apartment. Something is seriously wrong with this. A family now needs to make 80k/year to buy a house. The good paying unskilled jobs are gone and wages have not kept pace with prices. This is unsubstainable.
    I heard a story once about interethnic tensions in Providence.

Black: How can you only be in this country a couple years and you have a car?
    Asian-American: How can you live in this country your whole life and not have a car?

There are some lessons to be learned from immigrant communities about pooling resources and living intergenerationally that others may need to adopt as income inequality continues to rise. Some folks who can't even stand relatives visiting for a few days may become the exception rather than the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Ive had two cups of coffee and I still have no answer Catherine. Perhaps a different beverage is in order?
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm for that! Cheers!
    I'm not one to judge people for a little day drinking. But 7am drinking???

There are some lessons to be learned from immigrant communities about pooling resources and living intergenerationally that others may need to adopt as income inequality continues to rise. Some folks who can't even stand relatives visiting for a few days may become the exception rather than the norm.
    But sometimes there are no lessons and nothing to adapt, because one can't actually change one's relatives. Some relatives refuse to offer any help and never have and then they are what they are, people living on the streets have relatives too afterall.

Throwing people back on relatives at the very least multiplies dysfunction, because these least able to function in the world in most cases came from very dysfunctional places.
    Trees don't grow on money

Every person or family needs to be able to rent a place to live.

Yppej
    We used to live the way immigrants do in this country. Read old census reports. Now it's nuclear families aspiring to McMansions with the elders in assisted living. My city is filled with triple deckers that are a hundred or more years old from when each generation had its own floor in a house. Recent immigrants are living in most of them because native born Americans are not interested. There are buildings you can buy for the cost of deleading them because they are not renteable. Now you won't have the modern amenities. Even my neighborhood from the 50's lacks central air in any of the houses.

I do support the recent increase in my state's minimum wage though I know rents will probably rise as well.

What worries me is that countries like ours on the decline tend to look to a political Strongman as their savior. It's happened in Russia, the Philippines, South America, etc. It's a panic reaction that gave us our current president.
    I just hope common sense will prevail and we can forge a way forward together using facts and leave the hysteria aside.

Capitalism is on the brink of collapse. And it probably always will be.

Unless it gets regulated to the point of imbecility, price signals are still the best way to run an economy. It will adapt to technological and social changes. It just won’t be painless.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm not one to judge people for a little day drinking. But 7am drinking???
    I belted back a bloody Mary at 8 am once, before boarding a plane. I felt very naughty. As they say "It's five o'clock somewhere."

Thread Information