Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Is U.S. Capitalism On The Brink Of Collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Germany has had ups and downs. Remember when they suffered from hyperinflation and Deutsch marks were used as kindling? When a suitcase was stolen but the money in it dumped on the curb?

And the Germans weren't prepared for this downturn. They too had rising expectations. When those weren't met they turned to fascism.
    I was talking about current Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Show me a functioning society where the poor overthrew the rich as some here are predicting and I'll see what I can do.
    The French Revolution comes pretty close. At the very least the poor can get mighty assertive if they get oppressed enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The French Revolution comes pretty close. At the very least the poor can get mighty assertive if they get oppressed enough.
    Be careful while you're stirring up the oppressed and convincing them to institute your Reign of Terror, sometimes it can't be stopped. Don't be Robespierre.

I was hoping you'd use Cuba as your example, because I was going to do the same.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I was talking about current Germany.
    And I was talking about countries over a period of time, and the expectation that every generation should do better than the previous generation. That did not happen in Germany. We should not expect only upward movement forever in the US either. It's fantasyland.

Be careful while you're stirring up the oppressed and convincing them to institute your Reign of Terror, sometimes it can't be stopped. Don't be Robespierre.

I was hoping you'd use Cuba as your example, because I was going to do the same.
    Generally i agree. Once a revolution gets started the end result is at best unpredictable. But dont blame me if it happens. I’m not the one doing the oppressing, just pointing it out.

But dont blame me if it happens. I’m not the one doing the oppressing, just pointing it out.
    That's why I mentioned Robespierre, not being the oppressor you convince the mob to take out won't keep them from taking your head as well.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    That's why I mentioned Robespierre, not being the oppressor you convince the mob to take out won't keep them from taking your head as well.
    Alan, I would respectfully state that people are merely reacting to one of the worst injustices that has occurred in regard to the proper administration of a capitalistic society. That is the bank bailout of 2008. For capitalism to work it must be accompanied by failure. Our own government provided the fuel by which this fire of resentment has been lit. Occupy Wall Street may not have all the theory straight but anger over the bailout is not one area they are wrong about.

Most People dont object to unequal distribution of wealth so long as it is merit based. Increasingly, our American brand of capitalism has been under scrutiny. Can you blame people for looking for unfair advantages after the very people who caused the Great Recession were bailed out?

All you are seeing is the continued grievances that were set in motion about ten years ago. And this tends to undermine the real market forces that can work but won’t when workers don’t trust the system.

How can we have any trust in a system that favors the wealthy and so publicly refuses to let them fail at the same rate any other participant in capitalism experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Alan, I would respectfully state that people are merely reacting to one of the worst injustices that has occurred in regard to the proper administration of a capitalistic society.
    And I would submit, in an equally respectful manner, that people are reacting to the misguided notion that it isn't fair for some to have much when others have little. As a result, they want the government to make things "fairer" for them, which isn't actually fair at all.

Williamsmith
    What I’ve read here always seems to express a concern that the inequality is not the result of a merit based system. .thats different than saying it’s just not fair period. But I can see how it’s easier to be dogmatic about it if you can describe the opposition as fringe lunatics.

It is necessary for government to referee the game and access penalties for infractions.

Williamsmith
    Here is a discussion which will resonate with a certain group regarding American Capitalism on the brink of Collapse. The viewpoint is from the Professor of Economics Richard Wolff whose historical explanations and observations come from the Marxist Economic model.

Now, you may dismiss the discussion totally and choose not to listen but there are some ideas expressed which should be digested. Income inequality ....are capitalists starving out the poor in America. Have they reached their limits for borrowing? Has American capitalism cast aside its population in favor of selling goods to the world? Is there a connection in history to our current economy and the late 1920s?

Watch the ideas being expressed here and ponder the difference between politics and economics as they relate to democracy. Should we have democracy in economics that involves the workers also? Are corporations removing democracy from politics with their wealth, power and influence?

Thread Information