Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Is U.S. Capitalism On The Brink Of Collapse?

I do wonder if we are actually talking capitalism, or CONSUMErism?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I do wonder if we are actually talking capitalism, or CONSUMErism?
    I’m pretty sure I know what “capitalism” means. I’m less sure I understand what we mean by “consumerism”. Too many people exercising too much choice in acquiring too much stuff?

Williamsmith
    Capitalism and democracy seem to be linked together. After all, we are the poster child for a world where self interest reigns supreme. The capitalism I relate to revolves around people acting in self interest, competing against other people acting in their self interest. The person who produces a better product wins. The capitalism I see most reflected in our current version is self interest of one person at the expense of his/her neighbors. Capitalism in and of itself knows has no built in morality. Only the personal convictions of the human can limit the tendency of capitalists to take unfair advantage of others. Government steps in when humans discard their moral compass. When capitalism trespasses onto the property of exploitation, it needs to be expelled. Our brand of capitalism today seems to be, “Do unto others before they have a chance to do it unto you.” Adam Smith might be a little taken aback by the virulent type of capitalism we participate in these days.

I have to wonder how much self interest is actually acted in, when we the consumers, take in the barrage of commercials, that make people want to live in an unrealistic fashion, all while doing so under debt?

Worker's rights have taken a nose dive. Re: Walmart and trying to get a job there. You must be available 24/7 for a job that might give you 20 hrs a week.
    And then if you do not work your scheduled shift you are dismissed after 3 times. So, you can not have another part time job. Welcome to modern day slavery folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    Worker's rights have taken a nose dive. Re: Walmart and trying to get a job there. You must be available 24/7 for a job that might give you 20 hrs a week.
    Do you have a "right" to work at Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Capitalism in and of itself knows has no built in morality.

Money is amoral as well, so do you want to get rid of that?

walmart hires who they want and they will when laws protecting employees from such arbitrary on-call schedules are passed and enforced as well. nothing changes in having a right to work for walmart or not, just those who are employees of walmart then have more protections from arbitrary on call.
    Trees don't grow on money

I don't believe for a moment that capitalism is on the brink of collapse, it is the one apolitical economic system that has provided the most benefit to the highest number of people than any other economic system the world has known.

The danger lies in the growing number of people who misunderstand economics and insist on changing to a system that guarantees rewards not just to those who work diligently at creating wealth but also to those who make no viable effort at all.

Capitalism is the natural state of a long term healthy economy, we should be encouraging it rather than thinking up ways to subvert it, and being the optimist that I am, I believe reason will always overcome emotion in important matters.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Money is amoral as well, so do you want to get rid of that?
    Im not aware that anyone has yet mentioned getting rid of Capitalism in this thread...unless I missed it.

Thread Information