Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 207

Thread: Is U.S. Capitalism On The Brink Of Collapse?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,089
    On the brink, no. I remember being scared by peak oil. Now I do not scare so easily. But collapse could come in the future.

  2. #22
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,870
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Wealth inequality.

    Is "wealth" zero-sum?

    I went out the other day and spent several hours picking blackberries in the woods. I harvested about 2 gallons of blackberries. I then spent about an hour in the kitchen and produced 5 wonderful blackberry pies, which sold at the market for $30/each. $150 of wealth.

    Created how? I'm $150 richer now.
    Offside - at one time I lived next door to a neglected woodlot. For a few years before we moved away, I was able to pick gallons of blackberries which I made into jams, blackberry cordials etc which were wonderful. The neat feature was all the little critters that came to visit as I picked including little green tree frogs. Thanks for triggering that beautiful memory. $30 for a pie! Locally, they go for $15.
    Back to the OP
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    5,094
    This is the reason universal income is being looked at. Much of my DIL’s family moved from Poland to Germany because of the job market and benefits. Just read a book about a journalist that worked low wage jobs and tried to rent a place to live and pay bills on that income. Very interesting. It is called nickeled and dimed.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,373
    I gave away all my extra peaches to whoever wanted them. Even now there are boxes full on the front lawn marked FREE. My neighbor said I should sell them but that didn't even occur to me.

  5. #25
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    This is the reason universal income is being looked at. Much of my DIL’s family moved from Poland to Germany because of the job market and benefits. Just read a book about a journalist that worked low wage jobs and tried to rent a place to live and pay bills on that income. Very interesting. It is called nickeled and dimed.
    We have discussed that book several times. The auhor made many stupid choices that poor people have said they would not make. Ldahl had some droll things to say about it, if I remember correctly.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,089
    I have read the book. In it and other other pieces she defended her smoking habit.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    5,094
    At the end of the book she admits she made some bad choices which cost her big time. We never sell our extra fruit. We give it away and sometimes take it to one of the soup kitchens.

  8. #28
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think many European countries are doing a good job of balancing capitalism with socialism or democratic socialism.
    Yes, indeed they are. My Homeland is a good example but there are many other good examples, too. Thank You btw for posting this and for understanding this - so many Americans are brainwashed by the system to accept things as they are so that the wealthy can get yet wealthier at the expense of everyone else. Rob

  9. #29
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    When I was in NYC sitting in the lobby of my hotel....a German couple was discussing “working conditions” in Germany compared to the US with a health care administrator. Over hearing the conversation.....I could describe it as a eulogy for the poor American worker.
    Things really have sunk to this level in America in contrast with the many better countries. Rob

  10. #30
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think workin' folks are f-cked.

    End of story.
    Yes. Two bags packed at all times and save what money you can. Rob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •