Thread: I never thought I was an emotional eater

I never thought I was an emotional eater

I have always had a high metabolism and eaten whatever I liked. Until I was over 40 I didn't have any issue with weight. Then I started to gain but still was not going to start hating myself or become too strict overall. So pounds creeped up. A year ago I had enough, spent my summer super clean eating, lots of hiking, and a week and a half outside of civilization. I dropped 10 lbs and have kept it off with minor fluctuations. Still nowhere near my old size but I just figure age and all that.

So over the last 2 days I have been working on writing a dharma talk (buddhist thing) about integrity, and it triggered some old memories of what happened at my last job, and then I found myself going from being satisfied with my quinoa dinner to negotiating a 300 calorie ice cream bar. I went to our meditation group to lead and ended up sitting for 20 minutes by myself (I kinda figured no one was coming). By the end I was able to come home and eat salad and pita bread and feel perfectly satisfied.

So maybe there is a chance for that last 5-10 lbs after all.

Whatever gives comfort will assist in dealing with emotions, especially challenging ones. I think of life as an unfoldment giving us lessons to learn so I look for the lesson in each experience and then choose my way forward somewhat wiser, I hope.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information