Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Dogs

I'm glad your dog is okay. What a scary situation. Could you have fired into the air? Would the sound have scared the other dog?
    It must have been a very upsetting situation. Sounds like you handled it well. Yeah, maybe a club of some sort would have worked on the back of the other dog??

LOL......love the pic of your dog and the neighbor dog on his bed.

That hound did the right thing by allowing the superior terrior terror his bed.

So funny!

Pit bulls were the nanny dogs in the 1940’s. When working outside babies would be on s blanket and the dog would pull them back on the blanket by their clothes if they crawled off. A off leash pit bull attacked my big dog in the park. My dog had bites but luckily has a double thick coat. The guy pulled him off and ran away. All big dogs will attack if trained to do so or some will if they have been abused.

There are just some dog strains that have "bad" bred into them from bad breeders. Example: There was a line of St. Bernard dogs that basically went insanely aggressive at around 2. The breeders had to get together and remove the problem dogs genes from their breeding lines.

My insurance company will not cover us with liability for many breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    There are just some dog strains that have "bad" bred into them from bad breeders.
    My grandfather trained, ran, and bred black and tan coonhounds, and beagles, for 50+ years. He culled every single dog that displayed human-directed aggression from his packs. My bloodhound is from a similar line - the only danger he presents to humans is perhaps drowning them in drool.

I personally don't believe any particular breeds are bad. I think there are bad owners, and I think individual dogs, or some lines, can be bad.

The Sheriff has had a chat with the owner now and explained what happens next if that poor dog even looks at anyone sideways. The owner was frantically emailing me this morning asking me what I knew about dog muzzles...

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm glad your dog is okay. What a scary situation. Could you have fired into the air?
    That typically is a bad idea on several fronts. For one, who knows where the bullet will land? For another, "warning shots" are sometimes used in court as evidence that the situation wasn't dire enough to warrant use of lethal force. For another 'nother, it'd potentially cause the owner to fear for their life and react accordingly, and it would have caused some hearing damage to all around, including my poor hound.

LOL......love the pic of your dog and the neighbor dog on his bed.
    The neighbor dog is 16 years old, deaf, mostly blind. It can smell just fine though, and came over when it smelled lunch cooking, said hello, walked right in, and went to sleep on the big dog's bed. Hung out here for a couple hours until it decided it wanted dinner at home. I think it's a swell little pup.

My dad loved beagles and that’s all we had growing up. Not a mean one in all those years.

Williamsmith
    I was headed into Home Depot with the wife yesterday and this lady comes sauntering in the entrance at the same time with a Great Dane on a leash that was about as thick as a thread. My wife pulls up short scared to death of the dog and motions for me to do the same. We let mommy and Marmaduke go first and he sticks his nose straight up the butt of the man walking in front of him. I shake my head, meantime the dog leads the lady over by the riding mowers. I thought he might try to climb up in one and for a brief moment imagined what he’d look like cutting grass with a pipe in his mouth.

Im not against somebody going into the store with fluffy in their arms but when the dog could swallow you whole....I draw the line. Is it just me or are there more people who seem to be adopting dogs as their children instead of having real children? Saves the cost of college education I guess.

Yes, there are more dog children everywhere. And so-called service dogs in all sorts of establishments.

My dad and I had several coon hounds. My husband had a few too in the 80s. We put one down because it was aggressive, one time, with a neighbor. They never got a second chance - we always valued humans more than dogs.

Thread Information