Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Somebody should carbon-date that calendar. Are the pages yellowing?

What teenager puts rapey party at judge’s house on their calendar? That would seem like a great way to get in trouble with one’s parents.

David Brock, former Republican hit man who wrote about Anita Hill, had this to say about Kavanaugh:

"I used to know Brett Kavanaugh pretty well. And, when I think of Brett now, in the midst of his hearings for a lifetime appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, all I can think of is the old "Aesop's Fables" adage: "A man is known by the company he keeps."

And that's why I want to tell any senator who cares about our democracy: Vote no.
    "

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...don-ncna907391

Williamsmith
    At 51 Republicans vs 49 Democrats.....Murkowski(R) and Collins(R) are pivotal. Both must be swayed to vote No. Because Mike Pence is poised to cast the tiebreaker. I’m not sure about Flake(R). He’s a wildcard who could stick it to Trump. There seem to be more things that could go wrong for the nominee than right.

I dont think one needs to even declare who they believe. After this hearing and after what Kavanaugh said publicly about the Conspiracy to ruin him, going all the way back to the Clintons .....and his inability to maintain his composure under pressure.....it could be argued that he would have an impossible time being a neutral independent thinker after being crucified in such a manner.

I have to give him credit for not folding his his chair and disappearing. All this stress on him and his family will certainly play havoc with their health.

Not to minimize what happened to Dr. ford. She got sold out for political purposes at the cost of her family too. It really shows you just how valuable these politicians think their jobs are. They will do anything to preserve them.

And all to save Trump's bacon.

You would think some of the senators who are bailing out this year could do a sac search and maybe find a pair...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And all to save Trump's bacon.

You would think some of the senators who are bailing out this year could do a sac search and maybe find a pair...
    I hope you're right, it's gonna take a set of brass balls to vote yes in this environment.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    My coworker turned on her radio to hear the traffic report, but it was all Kavanaugh hearings. I said, "How can he remember what happened if he was that drunk?" She agreed.

Right wing nut on the other side of the office, working in another department, hears the radio, rushes over, and starts telling my coworker, "He didn't do it. He wasn't even at the party." Like how the hell would the busybody know? She didn't live in Maryland or go to the prep school parties there. "The Democrats are just paying these women to make up stories." Though no explanation of why this didn't happen with Trump's first, confirmed Supreme Court nominee.

I hate people who think they know everything and butt into others' conversations. When she came over I sat down and tried to focus on my work, and was thinking, this is a pretty large company. There must be several sexual assault victims working here. What must they think about Ms. Rightwinger loudly defending someone accused of a crime like this and impugning the integrity of the victim?

These loudmouths and not the tasks I have to do are what make my job difficult.

I am still reading Not That Bad and it explains that, as in this case in my workplace, women are often among the first to attack or blame victims. It didn't happen or if it did it's their own fault they were drinking, were dressed a certain way, etc. This is a defensive mechanism. If I am not like those women then this bad thing can't happen to me. I can feel safe. But really none of us is safe.

I didn't watch the hearings. Does anyone know if Kavanaugh was asked anything along the lines of, would you want your daughter in a few years to be at the sorts of parties you went to as a teen? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Though no explanation of why this didn't happen with Trump's first, confirmed Supreme Court nominee.
    Two words: "Swing Vote". The holder of that title may be the most important member of the court.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    I got to hand it to the Senate, lots of good entertainment today. Lindsey Graham was perhaps my Best Leading Actor award winner. His righteous indignation was almost believable. He was easily the Republicans MVP. When he saw Kavanaugh going down in flames to Durbins continual challenge to turn and request an FBI inquiry of the chief counsel because after all “Judge, you would like to see the best evidence, right?” Kavanaugh finally just sat dumbfounded because he couldn’t ask for that.....you could have heard Trump scream from the Oval Office if he did.......and Graham bailed him out like a good prosecutor should when their star witness is spiraling toward the ground in a death spin.

It seemed almost too bad for Kavanaugh that he knew all the people allegedly involved, partied with them, had gobs and gobs of female friends but never touched one of them but did like to drink quite a bit as a teen and said some Animal House stuff in his high school graduation book. All unhappy coincidences. He might not be done, but there are plenty of people sticking their forks in him. He needed to keep his composure better. Asking female Senators repeatedly if they ever drank until they passed out? That was bad optics. As was his anger and outrage. And he wasn’t even intoxicated today. I thought one of the Senators was going to say, “Judge, you look like you need a drink!”

I don’t get why corker and flake who are retiring don’t grow a set? Maybe trump has something on them. It is painful to watch K. I don’t think trump gave much thought to his selection except to get a yes man. Obama on the other hand made thoughtful choices. Every time I hear Obama speak and then trump I want to cry. Heck bush is looking great at this point.?

Thread Information