Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 503

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

  1. #351
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Anyone else surprised that Trump called Ford something like "a fine woman, very credible"? My guess is praising her simply furthers his agenda, which must mean that Kavanaugh is on political death row and Trump already has replacements in the wings.

    Or am I just being cynical?
    Trump just moves his lips spewing whatever. I woildnt read anything into it.

  2. #352
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Trump just moves his lips spewing whatever. I woildnt read anything into it.
    IL, no snark here, ok? I'm surprised by your post here - I though you liked Trump? Rob

  3. #353
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My personal opinion is that Cavanaugh like Trump is a member of the elite prep school boy's club. Drinking to excess or conquering females is manly and in some case, honorable as it implies he "belongs" to the club. Some things remain unspoken in that club but are understood. I hadn't thought too much about it but this all triggered a memory of when I was 16 and went to a park with a young man from a prep school nearby. We were just "hanging out" and talking about things. After some time, he started to get affectionate but I had no interest in him that way. He then tried to choke me and pin me down as he got off to watching me full of fear. This went on for what seemed like a long time but he was strong and I could not get away. I recall that I thought he was going to kill me. I never told anyone because they wouldn't have believed he was capable of being violent. I did tell DH yesterday and he seemed shaken that something like that ever happened to me.
    I have a story that ties into what you have posted here, pinkytoe. The tenant I posted about who passed on in our rental unit two years ago this late August whose gold rings I recently found and sold? She was born in '46 and in the 60's was a very attractive woman - seriously, she could have modeled in her youth. She told me a few stories of men violently holding her down trying to engage her in sexual activity - apparently at the time it was not the huge deal it is today. She even (kind of) apologized for her anger she expressed when she told me the stories.....I was like, hello, why are you apologizing? You were violated for Pete's sake.

    It is true that this was a very different era with different societal norms and standards, but still......violating someone like that? Just not right period. No excuse. But I guess to wind up, my point is that this is something that did happen back in the day before the awareness we have of it now and the laws we have regarding this now. I'm sorry this happened to you, Pinkytoe. This is all I can say, I'm sorry. That's gotta be horrible to deal with. Rob

  4. #354
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL, no snark here, ok? I'm surprised by your post here - I though you liked Trump? Rob
    I have never, ever, indicated that “I like Trump. ” As a
    Presidential figure, anyway (I was amused by seasons 1 and 2 of the Apprentice.)

    Because I dont automatically, in mindless knee jerk fashion, reject every action he takes does not mean that like him.

  5. #355
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have never, ever, indicated that “I like Trump. ” As a
    Presidential figure, anyway (I was amused by seasons 1 and 2 of the Apprentice.)

    Because I dont automatically, in mindless knee jerk fashion, reject every action he takes does not mean that like him.
    Fair enough, IL, my bad. From your conservative slant I thought you liked him....it's all good. Rob

  6. #356
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,712
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Fair enough, IL, my bad. From your conservative slant I thought you liked him....it's all good. Rob
    I don't think you'll find anyone here who actually likes him. I think you suffer from that peculiar liberal assumption that if someone doesn't sufficiently hate someone else, they must adore them.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #357
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have never, ever, indicated that “I like Trump. ” As a
    Presidential figure, anyway (I was amused by seasons 1 and 2 of the Apprentice.)

    Because I dont automatically, in mindless knee jerk fashion, reject every action he takes does not mean that like him.
    Really? Mindless? I'll have you know that my Trump-related knee jerks are very mindful. But I agree with him that we've stayed over long in Afghanistan. And that the Republican version of health care is "mean." And some other thing that I forget...

    ETA: Basically I'm kicking like a Rockette.

  8. #358
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think you'll find anyone here who actually likes him. I think you suffer from that peculiar liberal assumption that if someone doesn't sufficiently hate someone else, they must adore them.
    Gotta say that maybe there's something to what you say here, Alan. Don't need to state my zip code at this late date but where I live, if you are not bashing Trump, it is assumed that you like him and (cringe, shudder) support him. Rob

  9. #359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    She was born in '46 and in the 60's was a very attractive woman....
    It is true that this was a very different era with different societal norms and standards
    Kavanaugh was 1982. But rape culture still exists today.

  10. #360
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,712
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Gotta say that maybe there's something to what you say here, Alan. Don't need to state my zip code at this late date but where I live, if you are not bashing Trump, it is assumed that you like him and (cringe, shudder) support him. Rob
    I'd like to say that your zip code could use a lesson in perspective, but I honestly don't think it's unique to the 85006.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •