Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

In the absence of any corroborating evidence, it will break down to those who believe the accusation itself is sufficient reason to kill the nomination and those who do not. Those who feel the charge is enough were never going to support it anyway. Nor do I see a lot of minds being changed by another few days of political theater. As has been pointed out here, the truth of the matter is irrelevant if it allows one party to portray themselves as the champions of women.

What we will get from this is some additional performance art aimed at energizing the already convinced. But as Trump has taught us, truth is a poor substitute for drama in our current political climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know it's a waste of time to ask but, what makes some of them incompetent?
    Did you ever get an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Did you ever get an answer?
    Nope, but I honestly didn't expect one as we've now reached the point where it's no longer necessary to base our feelings on facts or data.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It’s a waste of time because we fundamentally disagree and no one is going to change their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It’s a waste of time because we fundamentally disagree and no one is going to change their minds.
    In my world agreements aren't necessary for discussion, but I'm a conservative. I would think you would empathize with those you cannot convert due to their inability to see beyond reason into the realm of feelings.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    But as Trump has taught us, truth is a poor substitute for drama in our current political climate.
    So sad, but true.

I would like to know if Kavanaugh were a Democrat and accused of the same allegations, would we Dems have a biased reaction? There are a lot of 17 year old drunken jerks out there, and I'm not at all condoning his alleged behavior, but given this is a decades old "he said/she said" argument, I am wrestling with whether or not this "bombshell" should impede the hearings for his Supreme Court candidacy.

And I'm a woman. And a Democrat. And pro-choice. And I really don't want Kavanaugh to be on the Supreme Court, strictly for political reasons.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So sad, but true.

I would like to know if Kavanaugh were a Democrat and accused of the same allegations, would we Dems have a biased reaction? There are a lot of 17 year old drunken jerks out there, and I'm not at all condoning his alleged behavior, but given this is a decades old "he said/she said" argument, I am wrestling with whether or not this "bombshell" should impede the hearings for his Supreme Court candidacy.

And I'm a woman. And a Democrat. And pro-choice. And I really don't want Kavanaugh to be on the Supreme Court, strictly for political reasons.
    Clearly, you labor under a burden of integrity that does not impede many in high office who seek higher office.

Alan, I base my decisions on facts not feelings. Considering they wouldn’t even let Garland have a hearing and he was republican I have no problem with what is happening now .

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, I base my decisions on facts not feelings. Considering they wouldn’t even let Garland have a hearing and he was republican I have no problem with what is happening now .
    Oh, I completely understand your desire for retribution, but my question was what in your mind makes some of the other justices incompetent?

And now I have another question for you. Since you approve of the Democrats efforts to derail this nomination out of spite, will you also approve of a by any means campaign to stop the next one as well if Kavanaugh decides the appointment is no longer worth pursuing?

I am not a lawyer. However, sometimes some judges do not appear to be interpreting the law with well thought out decisions. Even if I disagree I respect their decisions if done properly. We need smart, informed judges that can interpret the law. If the republicans pick a good candidate that person should not be blocked. Garland wouldn’t have been my first choice but would have made a good Judge.

Thread Information