Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Did anyone catch what eve happened to K's accomplice, Mark Judge, and whether the FBI interviewed him? That seemed like the best hope for collaboration.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I have spoken to a good many people in the neighborhood and the general take is that the 85006 does not approve of Brett Kananaugh sitting on the Supreme Court. To some it's a direct slap in the face. My take is that it does not bode well for the future of this country nor does such say good things about America and it's real values under the rhetoric. At least I live somewhere where people are against Kavanaugh - but for many not because of Dr. Ford's testimony but due to fear of having another Conservative on the Supreme Court. This will not end well and will result in some kind of needless death for the ever increasing wealth of those at the top.

Kavanaugh is more proof of what America truly is all about and is also an advertisement for two bags packed and an escape plan at all times. Rob

Rob, I agree K is bad for our country but there is no utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, I agree K is bad for our country but there is no utopia.
    TT, I agree with you that there is no absolute utopia, only better fits available in other countries. My point about Kavanaugh is that I see his sitting on the Supreme Court as another nail in the coffin of this country. Rob

Don't give up, Gimmesimple. The US has, its great credit, exposed and dealt positively with so many flaws in human nature over the years that most other countries hide or ignore. China, for example, is struggling to get its 'Metoo' movement going.

Start counting all the things that the US does right.

Does abuse occur, absolutely. I admire Dr. Ford tremendously for her courage and believe what she told the hearing. I am disappointed in Judge Kavanagh's response to the allegations. I find it hard to believe that any judge can potentially impact the Supreme Court for 50 years whether wisely or not and that the process can be so partisan.

How can anyone be that wise a Supreme Court Judge without extensive life and court experience? In Canada, a number of names is put forward by a non-partisan process after full vetting and then a selection is made by the government. I believe 75 years is the retirement age. I hope that we do not adopt the US way of doing things.

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I believe 75 years is the retirement age. I hope that we do not adopt the US way of doing things.
    Maybe we could emulate Canada and institute a mandatory retirement age as well. That would force out Ginsberg and Breyer and enable the appointment of two additional constitutionalists, although Rob would be apoplectic and we'd have rioting in the streets.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Maybe we could emulate Canada and institute a mandatory retirement age as well. That would force out Ginsberg and Breyer and enable the appointment of two additional constitutionalists, although Rob would be apoplectic and we'd have rioting in the streets.
    Alan, you'll love this. I am off work today and was just down the street at Food City, the Mexican grocery store in the 85006 I frequent. I know all the cashiers and stockers there and the lead cashier who was out on the floor stocking her section chatted with me a bit about the Filipino couple from Manila that live in the neighborhood. They apparently go the the Mexican deli there for adobo sometimes as it's similar to what they have in the Philippines - and they were overheard talking to someone no one knows about Kavanaugh and THEY WANT HIM IN. Very scary. I will start taking the long way home from the bus stop I drop off at on my way home from work to avoid walking by their house, it's just too creepy.

Of course they get to support Kavanaugh if they wish, but I don't know if they have considered the social consequences - though they are basically loners who don't attempt to assimilate so I guess that doesn't matter to them. My point is there are people in the 85006 who support Kavanaugh - these two Filipinos do. Rob

It's very depressing. At times like these, I comfort myself with the knowledge that, despite these kinds of setbacks, "conservatives" (the quotes are deliberate, since most people who call themselves that are nothing of the kind) are always on the wrong side of history--always. Every single social change that has ever made this country a more decent and humane place to live has been promulgated by liberals and fought tooth and nail by conservatives. Progressive taxation, labor unions, every aspect of the social safety net, universal sufferage--all have been denounced as tools of the devil by the political right. If we still had slavery in this country, today's Republican party would be fighting to preserve it.

The tide may be going out at the moment. But it will come back in eventually. And the tide always wins.

OH, well said!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    It's very depressing. At times like these, I comfort myself with the knowledge that, despite these kinds of setbacks, "conservatives" (the quotes are deliberate, since most people who call themselves that are nothing of the kind) are always on the wrong side of history--always. Every single social change that has ever made this country a more decent and humane place to live has been promulgated by liberals and fought tooth and nail by conservatives. Progressive taxation, labor unions, every aspect of the social safety net, universal sufferage--all have been denounced as tools of the devil by the political right. If we still had slavery in this country, today's Republican party would be fighting to preserve it.
    That's OK, history is not everyone's strong suit.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information