Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Well they may as well take my name off the list. I can’t even remember much of my high school days. And I was also in a Fraternity in college, and I was present at a few party’s.

But my memory isn’t to good to begin with. I’m not sure what I had for breakfast.

But I’m positive a couple of the posters here assaulted me. I just don’t remember when and where. And no one else supposedly there at the time does either.

But id have to come forward to save the country if they were nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are there really “plenty of good names” that can escape all background scrutinty? I have my doubts.
    You may well be correct. We've changed the rules of the game mid-life for these guys. All those years ago when they had 'youthful indiscretions' they could count on the other guys keeping quiet about it and the girls not speaking out. They HAVE to stick with Kavanaugh to the bitter end because this rule change almost certainly makes a whole lot of guys ineligible for the roles they've believed they were entitled to since they were little boys.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are there really “plenty of good names” that can escape all background scrutinty? I have my doubts.
    Perhaps a female nominee might be more palatable.

Yes it’s a rare woman that assaults a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    For that matter, I thought the kids that attended Yale and the Ivy League schools were a caliber above the run of the mill college student. Apparently, Kavanaugh was frequently a falling down drunk.
    My experience at Princeton in the '80s, and my daughter's experience there in the '10s, seem to indicate that there is a significant portion, but a minority, of the students that enjoy, even still, partying to blackout, and engaging in unruly behaviour. They tend to be from the privileged classes upon arrival, and move on to careers in banking/finance, politics, and law. We called them "squareheads" in my day, because they all had that square rowing/lacrosse-team preppy look, and were from Only The Best prep schools, from families of money and class, and were striving for "the gentleman's C" in class.

When I was there, it was about 40% of the population, I reckon, and the main street where the "eating clubs" were was a nightmare on weekends. It's now down to ~20% or less, according to my recent spy-on-site.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Excellent viewpoint Bae. I think the culture you describe is accurate, sometimes to different degrees in some universities. I remember getting off a bus from a day at the hospital with our little white nursing uniforms and shoes when there was a gathering of fraternities on the quad. You might have thought a whorehouse had arrived. There were catcalls, vulgar shouts and even some physical encounters as we tried to get away. Imagine that happening today on a campus.
    Also, we started our OR rotation and were in a room and the head nurse was orienting us and told us to stay away from Dr. Hands as they called him as he had a reputation for cornering women in closets and hallways and touching them, kissing them. And we were the ones being warned.
    Boys will be boys

Flowers, yes that sucks. I can remember as a 13 yo going downtown on a Saturday afternoon and having sailors take the train to our town and try to pick us up. Sometimes they would get so aggressive we would go to a store and seek help from a female clerk. Ugh1

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes it’s a rare woman that assaults a man.
    You haven’t been to a dance or function at the country club. Many of the women there probably meet the definition of assault on men. I’ve complained myself to people about it. The times have changed.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    We are down two shift supervisors at work so I have been unexpectedly picking up a lot of overtime lately. Hence I have not had much time to keep up with my usual - activism, the neighborhood, the news.......point here being that I have not kept up with the entire unfolding drama of Mr. Kavanaugh. What I will say though is that I find his former male roommate from his college days basically saying that Mr. Kavanaugh behaved differently under the influence really helped me see him as unfit for the position. Not that I believe the two female accusers are lying - please understand this much.

It's just much easier to see a full picture (at least for me) with the former roommate stepping up to the plate with what he had to say, and I personally thank him for doing so. So goes my take on this sorry saga. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Perhaps a female nominee might be more palatable.
    I'm thinking right now it might be easier to get a woman into the Supreme Court than a man. Rob

Thread Information