Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have no doubt it is real. She will suffer by coming forward. She has nothing to gain.
    Never underestimate the power of notoriety. I'm not suggesting that's the case here but it sometimes provides a powerful draw.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    At this stage I'm not sure it matters, if someone accuses you others like you will devote hundreds of internet posts impugning your character. Best maintain a low profile.
    I winder why it didnt happen with Gorsuch?

If it happened to me i’d want an independent investigation, perhaps with a few interviews of relevant people by the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I winder why it didnt happen with Gorsuch?
    I wonder what will happen with the next one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Nothing if the person has nothing to hide which must have been the case with Gorsuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I wonder what will happen with the next one.
    What’s to wonder. If someone accuses them of something like this they’ll follow the standard republican playbook. They will forcefully deny any wrongdoing and every other republican will forcefully assert that there’s no need to bother investigating such an absurd accusation that myst obviously be a partisan plot and then they will try and jam the confirmation through as quickly as possible.

Williamsmith
    There is no reason to stall the vote. The Constitution adequately provides for the impeachment and removal of a Supreme Court Justice. It is NOT a lifetime appointment. Should K. Be appointed the House of Representatives May conduct impeachment proceedings and hear testimony regarding his poor behavior which generally has been agreed to be high crimes and misdemeanors. If the House impeaches, then a Senate Commitee presides over hearings to produce a report for the entire Senate who then votes to keep or remove the Justice. A super majority of two thirds would be required to remove. This process would represent a thorough investigation rather than the dog and pony show we are currently witnessing.

I note that Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) was "appalled" today after President Trump's twitter comments about Dr. Ford. Trump implied there is no truth in the allegations, because (as he sees it): if the sexual assault had really occurred back in high school, surely the victim or her loving parents would have complained to law enforcement. (Implication: there was no criminal complaint on record; therefor, there was no offense.)

Senator Collins stated that she felt Trump's remarks were "completely inappropriate and wrong". In the 1980s as now, not every sexual assault is reported to police.

Senator Collins still has not indicated how she intends to vote on the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh's appointment. But I think the Bloviator-in-Chief may have given her a new reason to vote "no" today.

If I were in Senator Collins' situation, with a nationwide crowd-funding effort underway to pressure her to vote "yes", I would vote "no" in defiance. Mainers do not appreciate intimidation... in this case, in the form political contributions by people from away.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I note that Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) was "appalled" today after President Trump's twitter comments about Dr. Ford. Trump implied there is no truth in the allegations, because (as he sees it): if the sexual assault had really occurred back in high school, surely the victim or her loving parents would have complained to law enforcement. (Implication: there was no criminal complaint on record; therefor, there was no offense.)

Senator Collins stated that she felt Trump's remarks were "completely inappropriate and wrong". In the 1980s as now, not every sexual assault is reported to police.

Senator Collins still has not indicated how she intends to vote on the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh's appointment. But I think the Bloviator-in-Chief may have given her a new reason to vote "no" today.

If I were in Senator Collins' situation, with a nationwide crowd-funding effort underway to pressure her to vote "yes", I would vote "no" in defiance. Mainers do not appreciate intimidation... in this case, in the form political contributions by people from away.
    She met with K. And asked him about the allegations. He denied them. Her vote will likely reflect whether she believed him or not. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    That's where we as a nation screwed up in the early 1900's by ratifying the 17th Amendment enabling popular election of Senators. As a result, the Senate is no longer immune to the populism represented by the House of Representatives. Populism is antithetical to a representative democracy.

There is no reason to rush the vote.

Thread Information