Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

WS, I find it difficult to place blame on one person or party. I see the extreme polarization of political views to blame and that blames falls on both sides of the fence. The Supreme Court was never intended as an extension of political parties, or gender politics for that matter. In the event that roe v wade is overturned, as I understand it, it will become a states issue. It will most likely the conservative states that will have the most restrictions. So they will sleep in the bed they have made. Unfortunately that will not be the only issue to come up in the next couple of decades.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The ironic thing is that if Roe v. Wade does get reversed, you can blame it on the Democrats and Hillary Clinton for ignoring the Rust Belt...especially Wisconsin where she didn’t even visit after her nomination.....instead of seeing Kavanaugh sworn in we would be watching Merrick Garland there and be pending a Ruth Bader Ginsberg clone. It was a huge debacle with incredible consequences for the future.
    blame the woman for the despicable behavior of the men. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The ironic thing is that if Roe v. Wade does get reversed, you can blame it on the Democrats and Hillary Clinton for ignoring the Rust Belt...especially Wisconsin where she didn’t even visit after her nomination.....instead of seeing Kavanaugh sworn in we would be watching Merrick Garland there and be pending a Ruth Bader Ginsberg clone. It was a huge debacle with incredible consequences for the future.

I agree with Roger in that this is a pretty heavy load to put at the feet of Hillary Clinton.

I would never have a abortion but do not want to take that right away from others. Plus I am really for early ones by the 16 weeks unless the mothers life is in danger.
    Last edited by Teacher Terry; 10-8-18 at 11:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I agree with Roger in that this is a pretty heavy load to put at the feet of Hillary Clinton.
    I would have to say that Mitch McConnell had some small role to play in this whole mess. Had he allowed Merrick Garland a hearing, we might be in a different place today.

Blaming all of this on Ms. Clinton is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I agree. Her days of significant influence would seem to be over. Blaming her for a failed attempt to paint a SCOTUS nominee as a rapist Bluto Blutarsky is like blaming Lincoln for the failure of Reconstruction. Hubris and electoral incompetence can be blamed for losing an election, but not all subsequent history. She has enough trouble competing with the Obamas for those luscious speaking fees.

I say it’s time to move on to other tragedies like the Cubs losing the National League Cental Division and Melania’s imperialist sun hat.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've thought about some of the posts regarding my post about taking the long way home from the bus stop so as to avoid walking by the house where the Filipino couple lives that support Kavanaugh. I would agree that doing such is not going to change anything and I'd further agree that this is somewhat childish on my part.

It's just really scary to have people who support Kavanaugh in your midst as I personally believe the cracks that it's so easy to fall though in this society are only going to widen significantly now with a Conservative tilting Supreme Court. It's scary that there are people who support this and/or don't understand this basic reality. But avoiding walking by their place is not going to change anything, I grant that here and now.

And what's even creepier about the whole thing is that this couple, yesterday, went shopping at Food City with a boatload of coupons. Nothing wrong there - but one of their coupons was no longer valid and they pitched a fit with a manager over it, very loudly and very publicly. Obviously money means something to them and they understand something of the value of a dollar - that makes it even harder to deal with such people, given that they seemingly could care less that the cracks even they could easily fall though are only going to be widening in the future. But I also don't believe that their callousness and/or total lack of understanding of the big picture means that they should be tarred and feathered out of the 85006, or deported to the Philippines like some people I've spoken to think. In my book they get to be this way - it's just very scary to have in your midst. Rob

Rob, I think it's goofy to say they are callous. We listened to the hearings and I concluded that I believed Dr. Ford and I didn't believe Justice K. I listened to Justice K and then I wrote as many senators as I could and begged them not to confirm him. That was a shift in thinking for me--I went into it thinking he was getting set up. After experiencing his anger, his shouting, his complete disrespect for Sen. Klobuchar, I concluded that I had been wrong.

Why would you assume that people who think differently than you do are callous? All of us are entitled to have opinions and to see things with our own eyes and advocate for what we believe.

That is my opinion, and I was terribly saddened by the hearings and by the confirmation of Justice K. Very.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    How dare they distrupt the tranquility of the 85006. You should get the rest of the 85006 together and run them out of town.
    You could call the 85006 many things but tranquil would not be at the top of the list. And I don't believe these people should be run out of town - this behavior is something like the very beginning of Nazi Germany's treatment of Jews after they rose to power. The very beginning of their treatment of the Jews and others on their (expletive) list. I'm not down with that treatment, either, any more than I am comfortable knowing there are people who don't understand that the cracks that realistically any of us could fall through in this society are only going to widen. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Rob, I think it's goofy to say they are callous. We listened to the hearings and I concluded that I believed Dr. Ford and I didn't believe Justice K. I listened to Justice K and then I wrote as many senators as I could and begged them not to confirm him. That was a shift in thinking for me--I went into it thinking he was getting set up. After experiencing his anger, his shouting, his complete disrespect for Sen. Klobuchar, I concluded that I had been wrong.

Why would you assume that people who think differently than you do are callous? All of us are entitled to have opinions and to see things with our own eyes and advocate for what we believe.

That is my opinion, and I was terribly saddened by the hearings and by the confirmation of Justice K. Very.
    Hi Tybee!

Good to hear from you.

So, as to where I get callous from this situation? The fact that the cracks in this society that any one of us could realistically fall though are only going to widen now with a Conservative tilting Supreme Court. I find it very callous that this couple is OK with that and supports this happening via their support of Brett Kavanaugh. Callous is the only non-inflammatory word I can come up with for their lack of seeing the big picture and how their choice may come back to work against them, too. I hope this explains my take a bit? Rob

PS I'm glad I'm not alone here in my take on Kavanaugh - at least as far as not wanting him on the bench due to his testimony during the hearings. Rob

Thread Information