Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

I’m sure if Hillary would have won we would be looking at three far left leaning judges. We would be looking for the best trans, minority , whatever the current victim class is for new judges. She would have the two current, and I’m sure Ruth would retire before 2020 if she knew a Democrat would chose and probably let her have a say in her successor.

I hope Ruth hangs in there until we get rid of some of the incompetents we now have.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I hope Ruth hangs in there until we get rid of some of the incompetents we now have.
    I know it's a waste of time to ask but, what makes some of them incompetent?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    Only one Supreme Court Justice has ever been impeached and he remained on the court anyway. I like Ruth. I just wish she would ask a question every once in awhile to let us know she is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Only one Supreme Court Justice has ever been impeached and he remained on the court anyway. I like Ruth. I just wish she would ask a question every once in awhile to let us know she is still alive.
    i wish her no ill will, but she getting up there in years. Just a fact for all of us. I saw the interview where she decried the political grandstanding over this nomination. She didn’t look to sharpe.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    i wish her no ill will, but she getting up there in years. Just a fact for all of us.
    I saw her twice last month at the Santa Fe Opera (The Italian Girl in Algiers & Ariadne auf Naxos), and she seemed pretty perky and with-it.

However, I think we should consider mandatory retirement age limits for these positions.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    However, I think we should consider mandatory retirement age limits for these positions.
    Agree - either limited by age (I'd vote for age 75 max), or limited by number of presidential terms, i.e., you get to serve 4 presidential-length terms or 16 years. Which is why it's another popular tactic to nominate the youngest feasible candidate so they can serve 30 or 40 years - I think that's why too long to have that kind of power.

Well, the republicans are certainly in a tough spot now. They were already polling poorly among women heading into the midterms. And now they can either 1) meet with Kavanaugh's accuser and alternate between victim blaming and calling her a liar, or 2) ignore her completely and vote on Kavanaugh anyway, neither of which will help them with the female vote. There's a third option, convince the president to rescind the nomination, which would improve their position among women, but I will truly be surprised if that happens.

Yes, I agree with the term limits. Seems sorta crazy for it to be a lifetime thing.

Thread Information