Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

The Repubs have the muscle to give him the gavel. And knowing that this is their big chance to take away one of women's most fundamental rights and push their religious/political agenda they will not let this opportunity pass by.

Though I am glad in a way that the Dems are playing even a little bit of hard ball. You can tell from their performance that hard ball is new to them. haha

It struck me this morning that this examination and process is exposing and challenging world thought about the challenge of of the belief of the power of patriarchy. The world is watching and consciousness raising is going on. Will this one event change things? No, but it is raising needed awareness.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It struck me this morning that this examination and process is exposing and challenging world thought about the challenge of of the belief of the power of patriarchy. The world is watching and consciousness raising is going on. Will this one event change things? No, but it is raising needed awareness.
    Patriarchy? What do you mean?

Williamsmith
    Well, looking past this fiasco, let’s say he gets confirmed and appointed. The Democrats aren’t going away. They have a plan for impeachment which will drag Kavanaugh through the mud over and over. The FBI has a few people still there that despise Trump and they would be quite willing to dig up dirt on Kavanaugh and discreetly forward the information. I just see Kavanaughs appointment as toxic to the country from this point forward for an extremely long tedious time.

A huge distraction for the President, the Congress and us poor taxpayers.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Patriarchy? What do you mean?
    Does she mean the marginalization of women?

The histrionics were impressive on both sides, although as a forensic exercise it left something to be desired. I would have thought no minds were changed anywhere in the country, but I read the betting markets shifted slightly in favor of the judge afterward. There seems to have been some benefit to be seen resisting the Resistance.

High school yearbooks, the Doctor's uncertain relationship with aviation, and the various other factoids presented seemed less important than the production of raw emotion. Our politics have taken on the attributes of daytime TV: soap operas, game shows and endless, witless talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, looking past this fiasco, let’s say he gets confirmed and appointed. The Democrats aren’t going away. They have a plan for impeachment which will drag Kavanaugh through the mud over and over. The FBI has a few people still there that despise Trump and they would be quite willing to dig up dirt on Kavanaugh and discreetly forward the information. I just see Kavanaughs appointment as toxic to the country from this point forward for an extremely long tedious time.

A huge distraction for the President, the Congress and us poor taxpayers.
    LMAO!

Watching K's performance yesterday was the first time I've seen him speak at any length since this circus started. A lot of people have been commenting on his sputtering anger, some as evidence of the mentality of a privileged white male who has been crossed, and others as evidence of righteous indignation.

But the word that kept occurring to me was "unimpressive." This is a Supreme Court nominee, already a federal appeals court judge, for heaven's sake, supposedly the cream of the American judicial system, and this is the best he has to offer? Snarling, red-faced, sarcastic, interrupting, often at a loss for words, barely contained rage? This is a judicial temperament? Yeesh.

I couldn't help but reflect back to a couple of years ago when the HOR, conducting its 117th investigation into Hilary Clinton's whatever, grilled her for 11 hours, trying to get her to utter something unwise they could use in an attack ad, and she never turned a hair. She could give K lessons in manliness.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Today is Friday - is today the vote? Of whether or not he makes the cut and gets into the Supreme Court for life? All I know is that if he DOES get in, there will be protests. Many protests and big protests and full of anger protests. And I also very strongly believe that the GOP has shot itself in the foot as I believe there will be consequences in the mid term elections for their refusal to take woman's rights seriously. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Watching K's performance yesterday was the first time I've seen him speak at any length since this circus started. A lot of people have been commenting on his sputtering anger, some as evidence of the mentality of a privileged white male who has been crossed, and others as evidence of righteous indignation.

But the word that kept occurring to me was "unimpressive." This is a Supreme Court nominee, already a federal appeals court judge, for heaven's sake, supposedly the cream of the American judicial system, and this is the best he has to offer? Snarling, red-faced, sarcastic, interrupting, often at a loss for words, barely contained rage? This is a judicial temperament? Yeesh.

I couldn't help but reflect back to a couple of years ago when the HOR, conducting its 117th investigation into Hilary Clinton's whatever, grilled her for 11 hours, trying to get her to utter something unwise they could use in an attack ad, and she never turned a hair. She could give K lessons in manliness.
    Shouldn’t provable facts matter more than how someone performs on television? Is an emotional accusation evidence enough?

Personally, I thought reacting angrily to a personal attack seemed appropriate under the circumstances. Had he adopted a more passive stance his enemies would have spun it as evidence of his guilt anyway.

Thread Information