Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    And, just a few years ago I was a Republican convention delegate...
    There are countless defectors from the Republican party as it stands now--seemingly more every day. Many of them prominent. I believe these people can rebuild, but a tremendous amount of damage has been done at the hands of the Tea Party and Trump.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Today I'm proud to be from Arizona! I understand right now the Judiciary Committee is voting and the only unknown vote is from Jeff Flake of Arizona, who is retiring anyway and is a very well known Trump dissenter. This could get interesting and if Flake does vote no - he puts Arizona on the map to some degree for Human Rights - something I very applaud after SB 1070 regarding police rights to question Hispanics regarding citizenship and after the length Arpaio Nightmare Of Illegal And Unconstitutional Behavior.

At any rate, crossing fingers here for a No vote from Jeff Flake........Rob

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Watching K's performance yesterday was the first time I've seen him speak at any length since this circus started. A lot of people have been commenting on his sputtering anger, some as evidence of the mentality of a privileged white male who has been crossed, and others as evidence of righteous indignation.

But the word that kept occurring to me was "unimpressive." This is a Supreme Court nominee, already a federal appeals court judge, for heaven's sake, supposedly the cream of the American judicial system, and this is the best he has to offer? Snarling, red-faced, sarcastic, interrupting, often at a loss for words, barely contained rage? This is a judicial temperament? Yeesh.

I couldn't help but reflect back to a couple of years ago when the HOR, conducting its 117th investigation into Hilary Clinton's whatever, grilled her for 11 hours, trying to get her to utter something unwise they could use in an attack ad, and she never turned a hair. She could give K lessons in manliness.

agree 100%..........

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Today I'm proud to be from Arizona! I understand right now the Judiciary Committee is voting and the only unknown vote is from Jeff Flake of Arizona, who is retiring anyway and is a very well known Trump dissenter. This could get interesting and if Flake does vote no - he puts Arizona on the map to some degree for Human Rights - something I very applaud after SB 1070 regarding police rights to question Hispanics regarding citizenship and after the length Arpaio Nightmare Of Illegal And Unconstitutional Behavior.

At any rate, crossing fingers here for a No vote from Jeff Flake........Rob
    CNN is reporting Flake will vote to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    CNN is reporting Flake will vote to confirm.
    Let the protesting begin then! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Let the protesting begin then! Rob
    Whether you believe a vicious smear campaign is being thwarted or the patriarchy has yet again marginalized women, a confirmation will probably lead to that. Or at least more of that for awhile. Will the GOP be buried under a mountain of vengeful women’s votes? Will the stubborn Trumpian base be confirmed in it’s belief that elites will resort to any expedient to destroy him? I think we can expect even more political pageantry in the future.

Whether you believe a vicious smear campaign is being thwarted or the patriarchy has yet again marginalized women, a confirmation will probably lead to that. Or at least more of that for awhile. Will the GOP be buried under a mountain of vengeful women’s votes? Will the stubborn Trumpian base be confirmed in it’s belief that elites will resort to any expedient to destroy him? I think we can expect even more political pageantry in the future.
    I believe your last sentence is dead on, and it's sad as problems that are getting worse with each passing day - access to health care, the national debt, homelessness, bullying, the destruction of the middle class, the huge reduction in the quality of life most Americans endure so that the bulk of the money can funnel it's way up to the top - none of these issues will be addressed. In a way, you could say taxation without representation - though I do believe the Kavanaugh spectacle is also important - in terms of male/female relations in this country, yet another area sinking overall. Rob

Shouldn’t provable facts matter more than how someone performs on television? Is an emotional accusation evidence enough?

Personally, I thought reacting angrily to a personal attack seemed appropriate under the circumstances. Had he adopted a more passive stance his enemies would have spun it as evidence of his guilt anyway.
    If he'd been a woman there's no doubt that he would have been characterized as being "overly emotional" and "lacking the gravitas befitting a supreme court nominee".

But neither here nor there, scattered in among his outbursts were plenty of indicators ("what goes around comes around" was one such outburst) that cause me to have serious doubts that he will have any sort of open mind to the cases that will come before him. He'll be just a partisan hack and use whatever legal jiggery pokery he needs to get the job done for team red.

Rob, they are voting at 1:30 eastern time. It is unconscionable that a FBI investigation is not being done before voting. This is always the case when accusations are made. K doesn’t want this to happen because he is guilty. This whole thing is a sham. I think the republicans will shove this through but this is not going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, they are voting at 1:30 eastern time. It is unconscionable that a FBI investigation is not being done before voting. This is always the case when accusations are made. K doesn’t want this to happen because he is guilty. This whole thing is a sham. I think the republicans will shove this through but this is not going away.
    I guess there is a silver lining here, though, TT. If the GOP shoves this through, there will be consequences - 2018 election anyone? And how much women's anger will the GOP have to contend with? I think you are very much right - this is not going to go away. It's just getting started.........Rob

Thread Information