Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I agree the behavior of the Democrats was despicable. Feinstein has to go. The behavior of the republicans was despicable. Mitch McConnell is up for an Oscar along with Feinstein for their performances. That does not give him a free pass to behave like he did. If he had said “yes, when I was in high school and college we did some drinking. It was a different time and I have regrets that at times we drank more than we should of. I have no recollections of ever assaulting a woman or making untoward advances. If I ever did something like that, which I cannot ever imagine I ever would have, I can only profusely apologize and promise that I would never ever behave like that again. I was never told by any woman or man that I engaged in any behavior that was disrespectful of Women or men in any way. I am sorry for anyone I may have offended, and I have spent a life’s work as an adult being respectful to women and men and treating them well in the workplace. In my working career I have always tried to treat women and men with the utmost respect. I promise to respect all citizens and do my very best to uphold the constitution in the greatest country of the world. “ Or some other generic statement the team who coached him for days would have cooked up. Acting like a belligerent drunk being rude to a woman senator at a Supreme Court hearing Did not go over well. Being an angry white rich man acting like a victim was not a good look on him. Composure Under fire, maturity, compassion, confidence, responsibility and class would have been a much better look
    +1000.

Spent the day hanging out with a friend who is much more conservative than I am (but not a trump supporter, more along the lines of what I perceive LDAHL to be like except younger and gay). His comment about the hearing was that he thinks they are both telling the truth. It probably happened the way she said it did, at least in the big picture, and he probably honestly doesn't remember behaving so heinously because he'd had way too much to drink.

I'd be a lot more tolerant of him if he had said something along the lines of what you posted. But he didn't. And over the course of not doing that he lied, big and small (yes, he watched Dr Ford's testimony. It's public knowledge, why lie?), and made it quite clear that he doesn't intend to even pretend to be a neutral judge.

I have no idea what the FBI investigation will find. But even if they can't confirm anything he's already shown that he lacks the temperament and impartiality to be a supreme court justice. If this were any other job interview in the world he'd be out the door by now. It's remarkable to me that that is not the case with one of the most amazingly powerful positions in the world.

Clarence Thomas didn’t act like that. His nomination is a very sad joke. Let’s find the most unqualified person for the job just like we did for president. Yes people are stupid or getting rich off of this shit show.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    And if both parties don’t get it together our next president is going to be Avenatti. You can bet he is going to be on the news shows tomorrow trying to be the knight in shining armor to save us. He will be joined by a slew of them posturing and pointing fingers at each other.

Stop it all of you in the house and senate.
    Work on immigration policy
    work on healthcare (remember all the republicans who said for seven or eight years “we will repeal and replace Obamacare?). Face it, you never had a plan. You owe the American people.

and what about that deficit. Hocus pocus is not going to make in vanish.

Put your our big boy and girl pants on and get your act together and do what the American people hired you to do. You weren’t hired to put on a freak show.

The "both sides do it" meme isn't really defensible. Mitch McConnell is the gatekeeper of all the bills that come before the house. He'd the one who quashed Patty Murray and Lamar Alexander's bipartisan health care bill, and he's the one keeping all cannabis bills from coming to a vote, among many others.

I do wish Kavanaugh had been completely calm and confident under fire because that is my preferred demeanor, but then he would have been accused of being slick.
    if you wanted to stay on the good side of the man who recommended you for the job, playing those office politics, calm is not the preferred demeanor ... let's just say.
    Trees don't grow on money

I don't begrudge anyone showing emotion during yet another public "high tech lynching".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If you aren’t willing to answer questions honestly without hysteria than drop out of the running. If Dr. Ford can maintain her composure he should have been able to also.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't begrudge anyone showing emotion during yet another public "high tech lynching".
    Had he adopted a more sphinx-like demeanor, they would accuse him of lacking the humanity to be a judge. It was in essence a no-win situation for him, with so many people frantic to imprint their frustrations and trauma on him. I think Jonah Goldberg summed up the whole sad episode in referring to it as the "moral-panic phase" of the proceedings. I especially liked his line about the inflationary pressure on assininity.

https://www.nationalreview.com/g-fil...l-panic-phase/

One commentator suggested that if Ford had adopted the same combative tone it would have hurt her testimony. The point being that the female role is expected to be submissive, but it's acceptable for the male role to be angry and combative. I saw some truth to that.

EDIT to add, I did enjoy Matt Damon's SNL skit immensely - ).

K has been caught lying so much but some people frankly don’t care.

Thread Information