Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Williamsmith
    Trump could shock everyone.....come out and say he finds Dr. Ford credible and just withdraw his nomination. There are plenty of worthy candidates on his list. I wasn’t sure Kavanaugh was the best choice in the first place given his ties to the Bush dynasty and the Clinton debacle. And....Im not so sure this isn’t payback for his work way back when to embarrass Bill Clinton. Imagine Bill’s glee when he found out Dr. Ford’s story. “What goes around...comes around Brett.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, the Republican Titanic is sinking fast. Kavanaughs fate is in his own hands. Grassely sounds like the Chairman of the hearings that occurred during the movie “The Godfather”. It’s uncanny.
    About your first sentence here - I sure hope so!!! Rob

Williamsmith
    Kavanaugh is doing a good job at detailed denials, justified anger and corroborative testimony but his emotions are getting the best of him and his attacks on the Democrats are signaling that he expects his confirmation to fail. He might not make it simply because he seems like he’s having a nervous breakdown.

Saw a bit of the hearings during my lunch hour--consensus seems to be that Ford was very sympathetic and credible, and the Repubs' designated female didn't succeed in landing any punches.

Interesting to see what happens now--will they still try to ram the appointment through? Looks like the political price for doing so just went way up. On the other hand, the stakes are high for the GOP. Kav is the culmination of a decades-long strategy to cement the court for the right. And if they pull him now their base will be furious.

One thing that really stands out here is how inept K was in handling this. He really painted himself into a corner with his categorical denials. He's testifying right now, and he's really going to have to pull a rabbit out to salvage this mess. I don't think he's up to the job.

I just came back from a quick trip around the corner to CVS for a few basic office supplies. On my way over there in the late September heat I ran across a young woman, kind of hippy-looking, with a sign that said Kavanaugh is bad for children and flowers and all living things.

OK, even as a liberal I think this sign was a little over the top - the issues at hand are the sexual allegations regarding Mr. Kavanaugh's behaviors some years ago. Such issues involve women and not flowers or children...…...the sign was a little over the top but still, it was nice to see someone out and about protesting in a calm way and individually, too - this young woman seemed to be alone. And she was getting some comments of approval from passers by.

Just an interesting thing to run across in downtown Phoenix - not the most radical or progressive of places. Rob

Could we have the last election annulled? And Merrick Garland installed?
    This sh*t show has gone on entirely too long.

I'm getting emails from friends: "OMG He's crying and stating that he loves beer! It's a SNL skit that wrote itself!" I'm not watching.
    He'll probably get confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Could we have the last election annulled? And Merrick Garland installed?
    This sh*t show has gone on entirely too long.

I'm getting emails from friends: "OMG He's crying and stating that he loves beer! It's a SNL skit that wrote itself!" I'm not watching.
    He'll probably get confirmed.
    If he's confirmed there will be a lot of dissent, a lot of anger, protests like the 60's (count me in!!!!) - are these issues the GOP cares to deal with this close to the 2018 elections? Timing in and of itself may cement Kavanaugh's status as has-been toast (though wealthy has-been toast that will never have to lift a finger in his life if he doesn't want to and he has the ability to live this way without the requirement of fleeing to a lower cost of living country)…...as for his future, I have two words - book deal. And maybe some kind of talk show - not sure what medium would suit him best, maybe radio?

His likely upcoming status as has-been toast will probably be humiliating, true, but it's not like he has to live in fear of a sinking country in decline like most people do. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ... Timing in and of itself may cement Kavanaugh's status as has-been toast (though wealthy has-been toast that will never have to lift a finger in his life if he doesn't want to and he has the ability to live this way without the requirement of fleeing to a lower cost of living country)…...as for his future, I have two words - book deal. And maybe some kind of talk show - not sure what medium would suit him best, maybe radio? ...
    Fox will hire him.

Just turned it on and Lindsey graham is going off on the crazy train. K is resisting a FBI investigation. K is sniffing and making lots of weird faces. Pure comedy

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Fox will hire him.
    Yep, I'm thinking you are right Jane. Fox probably would hire him. Rob

Thread Information