Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    (Is Phoenix now going to get double the estimated amount of rain after I post something so unlikely to come from me?) Rob
    I doubt the weather has any concern about your opinions, unless the 85006 only allows rain to fall from the left, which I wouldn't discount given your descriptions of the area.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Watching Kavanaugh and his outburst at Klobuchar gave me a panic attack. I realized it was like a flashback to my young days living with an angry, unpredictable drunk. His behavior was disqualifying. A supreme is bound to be verbally attacked and criticized. If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And take your beer with you.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Watching Kavanaugh and his outburst at Klobuchar gave me a panic attack. I realized it was like a flashback to my young days living with an angry, unpredictable drunk. His behavior was disqualifying. A supreme is bound to be verbally attacked and criticized. If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And take your beer with you.
    He seems to be very much the loose cannon--a la Trump. As someone pointed out, he seemed to save his lashing out, bully-boy behavior for the women. And he's clearly, vocally partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And he's clearly, vocally partisan.
    Let's take a group of people, a collective within the Senate of the United States and give them a name, let's call them Democrats. Now lets say that the collective, the Democrats in the Senate, publicly declare within an hour of your nomination for a prestigious position that they will do everything within their power to block your confirmation, and their followers, lets also call them Democrats, begin grassroots campaigns to convince each other that his confirmation will result in a real world Handmaids Tale.

That was all entertaining enough until it looked like their efforts would fail and the Democrats realized they had to pick up their game if they had any chance of winning the battle they started. So, at the last minute a leaker violated some poor woman's privacy and outed her to the media, despite their promise of anonymity, as a victim of sexual assault allegedly perpetrated nearly 4 decades ago by the nominee. I'm going to call the leaker who violated her request of anonymity a Democrat as well because the alleged victim admits she's only made the allegation available to Democrats. Once we all become aware of the allegation, it comes to light that the Democrats knew about the allegation from practically the moment the nomination was made, yet never bothered to bring it up during the long process of Senate interviews and confirmation hearings nor did they report it up the chain for investigation.

What they did do during that nearly 2 month period was recommend a particular law firm to the alleged victim to represent her and the law firm agreed to do so pro bono, without remuneration. Now, once the Democrats leaked the details of her confidential letter to the press and all other news in the United States became an after-thought, making her the most talked about person in the country, another group in the Senate, lets call them Republicans, made an offer to her through her Democrat recommended law firm to interview her as part of a Senate investigation into her allegations, in private, at a location of her choosing. This private interview did not happen and when she eventually showed up for public hearings, she seemed surprised to hear that the offer had ever been made. That point continues to confuse me as I believe a person's legal representation has a duty to keep her informed of such things, it's almost like she isn't actually their client and they are actually representing the Democrats, who have much more to gain by engineering a public spectacle in hopes of completely destroying a man rather than using allegations at their disposal early on in the process, behind the scenes, and allowing the nominee to either respond to the allegations in private or withdraw his nomination if he decided that was the best course of action.

Given the seemingly well orchestrated efforts to completely destroy the nominee, I wouldn't think it correct to refer to his response to the group behind it as partisan. It's just that every single person trying to destroy him for political purposes seems to be a Democrat.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

IMO Klobuchar really missed an opportunity to flatten Kav. When he started in with his snotty questions about her drinking, she should have responded, "With all due respect, Judge, in this venue I'm the one asking the questions."
    It's certainly what I would have said. But then, Klobuchar is probably a much nicer person than I am.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I doubt the weather has any concern about your opinions, unless the 85006 only allows rain to fall from the left, which I wouldn't discount given your descriptions of the area.
    Alan, please.......the 85006 nor any other zip code has control over the weather. Please. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Just wanted to say - as someone who has had panic attacks in the past - I am sorry and I hope you are doing OK. Panic attacks are serious - I remember being certain I was dying during them and also a feeling that I was completely losing base with reality, just spinning around out there somewhere. They were unlike anything I've ever experienced. I wish you calmness and peace. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan, please.......the 85006 nor any other zip code has control over the weather. Please. Rob
    That's what I thought, but your zip code seems special in it's ability to completely mirror your thoughts and opinions. If you mention getting twice as much rain as forecast, based upon your (and by extension, the 85006) opinion, I'll believe you. I'll never underestimate a hive.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Let's take a group of people, a collective within the Senate of the United States and give them a name, let's call them Democrats. Now lets say that the collective, the Democrats in the Senate, publicly declare within an hour of your nomination for a prestigious position that they will do everything within their power to block your confirmation, and their followers, lets also call them Democrats, begin grassroots campaigns to convince each other that his confirmation will result in a real world Handmaids Tale.

That was all entertaining enough until it looked like their efforts would fail and the Democrats realized they had to pick up their game if they had any chance of winning the battle they started. So, at the last minute a leaker violated some poor woman's privacy and outed her to the media, despite their promise of anonymity, as a victim of sexual assault allegedly perpetrated nearly 4 decades ago by the nominee. I'm going to call the leaker who violated her request of anonymity a Democrat as well because the alleged victim admits she's only made the allegation available to Democrats. Once we all become aware of the allegation, it comes to light that the Democrats knew about the allegation from practically the moment the nomination was made, yet never bothered to bring it up during the long process of Senate interviews and confirmation hearings nor did they report it up the chain for investigation.

What they did do during that nearly 2 month period was recommend a particular law firm to the alleged victim to represent her and the law firm agreed to do so pro bono, without remuneration. Now, once the Democrats leaked the details of her confidential letter to the press and all other news in the United States became an after-thought, making her the most talked about person in the country, another group in the Senate, lets call them Republicans, made an offer to her through her Democrat recommended law firm to interview her as part of a Senate investigation into her allegations, in private, at a location of her choosing. This private interview did not happen and when she eventually showed up for public hearings, she seemed surprised to hear that the offer had ever been made. That point continues to confuse me as I believe a person's legal representation has a duty to keep her informed of such things, it's almost like she isn't actually their client and they are actually representing the Democrats, who have much more to gain by engineering a public spectacle in hopes of completely destroying a man rather than using allegations at their disposal early on in the process, behind the scenes, and allowing the nominee to either respond to the allegations in private or withdraw his nomination if he decided that was the best course of action.

Given the seemingly well orchestrated efforts to completely destroy the nominee, I wouldn't think it correct to refer to his response to the group behind it as partisan. It's just that every single person trying to destroy him for political purposes seems to be a Democrat.
    I agree the behavior of the Democrats was despicable. Feinstein has to go. The behavior of the republicans was despicable. Mitch McConnell is up for an Oscar along with Feinstein for their performances. That does not give him a free pass to behave like he did. If he had said “yes, when I was in high school and college we did some drinking. It was a different time and I have regrets that at times we drank more than we should of. I have no recollections of ever assaulting a woman or making untoward advances. If I ever did something like that, which I cannot ever imagine I ever would have, I can only profusely apologize and promise that I would never ever behave like that again. I was never told by any woman or man that I engaged in any behavior that was disrespectful of Women or men in any way. I am sorry for anyone I may have offended, and I have spent a life’s work as an adult being respectful to women and men and treating them well in the workplace. In my working career I have always tried to treat women and men with the utmost respect. I promise to respect all citizens and do my very best to uphold the constitution in the greatest country of the world. “ Or some other generic statement the team who coached him for days would have cooked up. Acting like a belligerent drunk being rude to a woman senator at a Supreme Court hearing Did not go over well. Being an angry white rich man acting like a victim was not a good look on him. Composure Under fire, maturity, compassion, confidence, responsibility and class would have been a much better look

Hold on, I can hear the crowd chanting at the Trump rally screaming “Lock her up”. It’s really getting old.

I agree the behavior of the Democrats was despicable. Feinstein has to go. The behavior of the republicans was despicable. Mitch McConnell is up for an Oscar along with Feinstein for their performances. That does not give him a free pass to behave like he did. If he had said “yes, when I was in high school and college we did some drinking. It was a different time and I have regrets that at times we drank more than we should of. I have no recollections of ever assaulting a woman or making untoward advances. If I ever did something like that, which I cannot ever imagine I ever would have, I can only profusely apologize and promise that I would never ever behave like that again. I was never told by any woman or man that I engaged in any behavior that was disrespectful of Women or men in any way. I am sorry for anyone I may have offended, and I have spent a life’s work as an adult being respectful to women and men and treating them well in the workplace. In my working career I have always tried to treat women and men with the utmost respect. I promise to respect all citizens and do my very best to uphold the constitution in the greatest country of the world. “ Or some other generic statement the team who coached him for days would have cooked up. Acting like a belligerent drunk being rude to a woman senator at a Supreme Court hearing Did not go over well. Being an angry white rich man acting like a victim was not a good look on him. Composure Under fire, maturity, compassion, confidence, responsibility and class would have been a much better look

Hold on, I can hear the crowd chanting at the Trump rally screaming “Lock her up”. It’s really getting old.
    I do wish Kavanaugh had been completely calm and confident under fire because that is my preferred demeanor, but then he would have been accused of being slick.

I heard Thursdays testimony off and on all day as we were working in our yard with the radio blasting into the yard so
    I missed perhaps key pieces of his talk and testimony. I thought his solo speech showed the right amount of rightous anger. I like how the Dems jerk him around, jerk again, jerk one more time, keep jerking and then shout that he isnt calm and collected. No chit. But yeah, getting angry under questioning isnt cool.

I think he DID say some elements of what you would have liked him to say, although I didn't hear him talk about drinking. apparently his worst performsnce ? came during questioning but I missed most all of that.

Thread Information