Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Senator Collins stated that she felt Trump's remarks were "completely inappropriate and wrong". In the 1980s as now, not every sexual assault is reported to police.
    I am familiar with how many "rape kits" we pull off the shelf each year in the county and go through the evidence collection process with. Around 1-2 dozen. They lead, each year, to nearly zero prosecutions, and nearly zero convictions.

The collection process is quite challenging and intrusive. The people who decide after being informed of the process to continue on with it to completion must be quite brave or solid. The process itself, or the prospect of it, I suspect scares off a lot of potential reports. And then the general lack of outcome must also deter reporting.

Tonight we are scouring the island for a 24 year old man, who is homeless, who often camps in the woods about 1.5 miles from my home. He allegedly raped a 12 year old child. I will be out with bloodhound and some gear, with any luck we'll flush him out. It's going to be cold and rainy tonight, perhaps he'll fall off one of the 300 foot cliffs in the park while trying to evade, and save the taxpayers some money. I can't imagine a child going through the interview process FFS.

Yppej
    I am willing to bet all the people who think there is no good reason for a child victim of sexual assault to not report the crime have never been so victimized. I almost want to say they should be.
    Last edited by Yppej; 9-21-18 at 8:13pm.

Bae, that kind of stuff is why I quit being a social worker years ago.

People wonder why women don't routinely speak up after they are sexually assaulted. Perhaps it's things like this. After having to wear an ankle monitoring bracelet while awaiting trial and living at home he pleaded guilty to a felony and it was decided that the time already "served" was sufficient punishment.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/21/us/al...nce/index.html

Yppej
    There is some definite class bias there as well JP. Man with white collar job gets away with assaulting a woman too poor to own a car. I think if the victim were someone like Sarah Palin it would have been a whole different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There is some definite class bias there as well JP. Man with white collar job gets away with assaulting a woman too poor to own a car. I think if the victim were someone like Sarah Palin it would have been a whole different outcome.
    Yup. And imagine if the perpetrator wasn't just a middle class white guy, but was a rich prep school kid. This article takes a look at the bigger picture of the class bias. TLDR version: Kavanaugh really hasn't been much of a success at anything any more than trump has been a particularly successful businessman.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...accountability

So now apparently Whelen, the guy that came up with the silly conspiracy theory that Ford misremembered who attacked her, and slimed a random guy who looked like Kavanaugh, was given her name 90 minutes before it was made public. If the republicans in the senate wanted to look like they were taking this seriously they couldn't possibly do a worse job than they are. The question now is who told Whelen. And why the hell should we take seriously anything the judiciary committee is doing? They have lost all credibility at this point and Kavanaugh needs to withdraw his nomination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bdea5e5ac70e

Williamsmith
    Kavanaugh is taking it on the chin pretty bad. This new accuser will muddy the waters even more. I didn’t realize Kavanaugh was such a drunken fool while attending Yale. For that matter, I thought the kids that attended Yale and the Ivy League schools were a caliber above the run of the mill college student. Apparently, Kavanaugh was frequently a falling down drunk. I’ve been in that condition before and I could see how these things could happen. It doesn’t make them right but he fact the victims were also drinking heavily, really makes the cases difficult. But reading some of the statements, many District Attorneys would have charged him and went to trial. It all comes down to the victim’s believability on the stand. And some shred of cooborative evidence.

For the sake of the country, maybe he should just step aside. There are plenty of good names on Trumps list of lists.

You would think this new accuser would seal the deal but republicans are determined. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Kavanaugh is taking it on the chin pretty bad. This new accuser will muddy the waters even more. I didn’t realize Kavanaugh was such a drunken fool while attending Yale. For that matter, I thought the kids that attended Yale and the Ivy League schools were a caliber above the run of the mill college student. Apparently, Kavanaugh was frequently a falling down drunk. I’ve been in that condition before and I could see how these things could happen. It doesn’t make them right but he fact the victims were also drinking heavily, really makes the cases difficult. But reading some of the statements, many District Attorneys would have charged him and went to trial. It all comes down to the victim’s believability on the stand. And some shred of cooborative evidence.

For the sake of the country, maybe he should just step aside. There are plenty of good names on Trumps list of lists.
    Are there really “plenty of good names” that can escape all background scrutinty? I have my doubts.

Thread Information