Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Williamsmith
    I’m sure Alan was just spoofing Biden’s reputation ....sort of like this:

In this day and age where we have a president who screeches ‘fake news!’ at anything that makes him look bad and 30% of the country believes him it is not particularly funny when fake pictures get posted about a serious topic.

Although to be fair, judging from the comments section of many articles about last week’s hearing i know there are plenty of people who don’t think attempted rape is a particularly serious topic if it’s a conservative doing the attemoted raping. So, ha ha, i guess...

Williamsmith
    The topic of sexual assault in this case is undermined by the staleness of the report, the timing of it and the reticence of the victim. It rightly is pointed out that it stinks of partisan politics. That doesn’t make it irrelevant to the nomination and appointment of a Supreme Court Judge, it just makes it less relevant and gives people the cover they need to justify disregarding an obviously candid and entirely believable victim.

The real issue which runs as an undercurrent to the sexual assault theme and has far greater evidence to support it is.....that Judge Kavanaugh has shown a proclivity to binge drink to where he is not in control of his inhibitions, becomes belligerent, and over indulges at the risk of others. He provided plenty of evidence of this himself by testimony and physical evidence and now there are more incidents we are becoming aware of.

I have conducted background detailed investigations for applicants to state employment and can tell you that a person could be a habitual user of alcohol and not raise one eyebrow unless they were arrested for a DUI or public drunkenness. But put one reference to smoking marijuana in the mix and a red flag would be raised. At the same time, I never responded to a domestic complaint and worried about the residents having been smoking pot all day. Can’t count the number of times a drunk has caused me serious concern.

I still believe that the rodeo they called a confirmation hearing this past week victimized Kavanaugh and Ford simply to advance both Democrat and Republicans goals for the midterms. I would hope voters could see they need to vote for someone else for Senate when the time comes along. As far as Kavanaugh goes, I oppose him on the grounds that he would threaten the freedom of the citizens of the US based on his rulings in favor of NSA type surveillance of the entire population excused by the “War on Terror”. He is too comfy with the Bush’s. Perhaps that’s the reason Trump nominated him in the first place, because the radical center would never oppose him and Trumps base is interested in locking down the Supreme Court for decades to come.

All good points William Smith. Drunks scare me more than potheads. The belligerence K. showed was alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    All good points William Smith. Drunks scare me more than potheads. The belligerence K. showed was alarming.
    Interesting article in Slate today apropos this very topic. I hadn't really thought about it in this light--I mostly attributed the violence of K's reaction as being mostly related to his anger at anyone having the temerity to question his privileged perch in the world. But yes, it also makes a great deal of sense to see it as part of a pattern of violent denial about a drinking problem. Is he a high-functioning alcoholic?

And the gold medal for the conclusion long jump goes to...

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    And the gold medal for the conclusion long jump goes to...
    Actually, I think that medal goes to anyone who thinks this is all a conspiracy on behalf of the Clintons...

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Actually, I think that medal goes to anyone who thinks this is all a conspiracy on behalf of the Clintons...

He is a very disappointed bitter man. I don’t see how he could perform his duties on the Supreme Court without thinking about his turn to dish out his version of ”what goes around, comes around.” But likely he will get his opportunity. If he puts this all behind him, he’s a better man than I am. Do Supreme Court Justices get secret service protection? It’s a shame to say, but his family should be getting it. That in and of itself would cause me to bow out.

I would like to think that there are people out there who would not be deterred by threats or smears. I would think that if the guy was truly the hot-head his detractors are trying to sell there would be many past examples of his intemperate behavior on the bench they could bring up.

You mean like the bar fight where his friend went to jail? That kind of example?

Thread Information