Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan, you'll love this. I am off work today and was just down the street at Food City, the Mexican grocery store in the 85006 I frequent. I know all the cashiers and stockers there and the lead cashier who was out on the floor stocking her section chatted with me a bit about the Filipino couple from Manila that live in the neighborhood. They apparently go the the Mexican deli there for adobo sometimes as it's similar to what they have in the Philippines - and they were overheard talking to someone no one knows about Kavanaugh and THEY WANT HIM IN. Very scary. I will start taking the long way home from the bus stop I drop off at on my way home from work to avoid walking by their house, it's just too creepy.

Of course they get to support Kavanaugh if they wish, but I don't know if they have considered the social consequences - though they are basically loners who don't attempt to assimilate so I guess that doesn't matter to them. My point is there are people in the 85006 who support Kavanaugh - these two Filipinos do. Rob
    And deep down inside don't you admire their ability to think for themselves regardless of the obvious social consequences? They sound like wonderful people, you should judge them by the content of their character rather than by local gossip.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

... and they were overheard talking to someone no one knows about Kavanaugh and THEY WANT HIM IN. Very scary. I will start taking the long way home from the bus stop I drop off at on my way home from work to avoid walking by their house, it's just too creepy.

Of course they get to support Kavanaugh if they wish, but I don't know if they have considered the social consequences - though they are basically loners who don't attempt to assimilate so I guess that doesn't matter to them. My point is there are people in the 85006 who support Kavanaugh - these two Filipinos do. Rob
    To the bolded: this is crazy behaviour, you know this, right? But I know that you secretly post this stuff to get us riled up. So,bravo.

as for “considering the social consequences” I manage to survive in Liberal Land. Just 30 minutes agoI had a meeting about a neighborhood issue and had to endure a brief lecture about Donald Trump.* Ok, whatever. If the goal of my meeting is worthy, I will put up with the idiot lectures.

* Meeting had nothing to do with Donald Trump of course.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-6-18 at 7:50pm.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Iris that is ridiculous. Most places I go political talk is politely nipped in the bud so to speak. But I do have an observation. I saw so many angry white men at that hearing. If he is truly innocent, yes I can see someone being quite upset, but the raw anger that I have seen from Trump, Grassley, Kavenaugh, McConnel,Graham et all has been eye opening.
    When Kavenaugh was going on how he worked his but off to get into Yale, I have no doubts he is very smart and had to work hard. But you cannot tell me being white, from a family rich enough to send him to prep school, excelling in sports and being the right faith certainly were helpful to him. Reading the history of Yale is very interesting. A school for rich men, it has come kicking and screaming into modern times, like many other institutions. Just look at the gender and racial makeup of the Republican Congress and cabinet, certainly not a cross section of the population.

That fear of losing hold of the white, male, Christian domination certainly reared it’s ugly head. Anyone believe that all those yearbook references were not about sex and drinking ? So why not be honest about it? Even if some of the boasting was exaggerated, that is what it was all about. And now that all of this is in the archives of the internet, how will he explain it to his daughters when they get old enough to realize yes he did lie and the GOP went right along with it. What a poor example to set.

But here we are. There are a lot of us out here who are not sore losers, some not even leaning left who consider this a disturbing appointment. Because more white rich Christian men pushing their judgement on the rest of us does not seem too promising to me. Right away there was an article on Fox News hailing this as a step to abolish Roe vs. Wade. Which of course they all denied. A small percentage of the population pushing their idea of religious rules on the rest of us. Not that I am for abortion, but I believe this is what it is truly all about . Once you are born of course, you are on your own, and if women are sexually assaulted they must have asked for it, but nevermind all that. Until you have walked some miles in Non white, poor people, women, non Christian or non heterosexual shoes you have no idea what obstacles people face every day. Yes, everyone faces obstacles but some have the odds stacked against them. And they just got stacked a little higher.

Kavanaugh was a Yale legacy. His grandfather, Everett Edward Kavanaugh, went there.

Just like Trump wasn't self-made, having access to his father's millions (not a "one million dollar loan--which I had to pay back with interest") all of his life.

Alan, you'll love this. I am off work today and was just down the street at Food City, the Mexican grocery store in the 85006 I frequent. I know all the cashiers and stockers there and the lead cashier who was out on the floor stocking her section chatted with me a bit about the Filipino couple from Manila that live in the neighborhood. They apparently go the the Mexican deli there for adobo sometimes as it's similar to what they have in the Philippines - and they were overheard talking to someone no one knows about Kavanaugh and THEY WANT HIM IN. Very scary. I will start taking the long way home from the bus stop I drop off at on my way home from work to avoid walking by their house, it's just too creepy.

Rob, they’re immigrants. I thought that put them above reproach in your belief system. Or is it becsuse they’re not from Mexico or Hispanic?

Why the heck should someone have to consider their political beliefs to assimilate? The Filipinos immigrants I know tend towards being very conservative. I’m sure they moved into the neighborhood for other reasons, not the political atmosphere.

So you're shunning the very sidewalk in front of their house because of gossip about their politics at the grocery store? I have to say you're missing out on a lot. Why take politics so desperately personally?

God help us all!

How dare they distrupt the tranquility of the 85006. You should get the rest of the 85006 together and run them out of town.

[QUOTE=flowerseverywhere;310793 I saw so many angry white men at that hearing. If he is truly innocent, yes I can see someone being quite upset, but the raw anger that I have seen from Trump, Grassley, Kavenaugh, McConnel,Graham et all has been eye opening.
    When Kavenaugh was going on how he worked his but off to get into Yale, I have no doubts he is very smart and had to work hard. But you cannot tell me being white, from a family rich enough to send him to prep school, excelling in sports and being the right faith certainly were helpful to him. Reading the history of Yale is very interesting. A school for rich men, it has come kicking and screaming into modern times, like many other institutions. Just look at the gender and racial makeup of the Republican Congress and cabinet, certainly not a cross section of the population.

That fear of losing hold of the white, male, Christian domination certainly reared it’s ugly head. Anyone believe that all those yearbook references were not about sex and drinking ? So why not be honest about it? Even if some of the boasting was exaggerated, that is what it was all about. And now that all of this is in the archives of the internet, how will he explain it to his daughters when they get old enough to realize yes he did lie and the GOP went right along with it. What a poor example to set.

But here we are. There are a lot of us out here who are not sore losers, some not even leaning left who consider this a disturbing appointment. Because more white rich Christian men pushing their judgement on the rest of us does not seem too promising to me. Right away there was an article on Fox News hailing this as a step to abolish Roe vs. Wade. Which of course they all denied. A small percentage of the population pushing their idea of religious rules on the rest of us. Not that I am for abortion, but I believe this is what it is truly all about . Once you are born of course, you are on your own, and if women are sexually assaulted they must have asked for it, but nevermind all that. Until you have walked some miles in Non white, poor people, women, non Christian or non heterosexual shoes you have no idea what obstacles people face every day. Yes, everyone faces obstacles but some have the odds stacked against them. And they just got stacked a little higher.[/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. All we can do now is vote and hope it works. we're in for a nastier few years...all my life probably!

Williamsmith
    The ironic thing is that if Roe v. Wade does get reversed, you can blame it on the Democrats and Hillary Clinton for ignoring the Rust Belt...especially Wisconsin where she didn’t even visit after her nomination.....instead of seeing Kavanaugh sworn in we would be watching Merrick Garland there and be pending a Ruth Bader Ginsberg clone. It was a huge debacle with incredible consequences for the future.

Thread Information