Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage as Bedrock of Soceity?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Marriage as Bedrock of Soceity?

Just curious, do you see marriage as the bedrock of society? At the age of 51 it seems to me that in my youth marriage was considered this way. But today in this day and age I've really sensed a marked shift in this line of thinking...….what's your take on this? Rob

Yes things have changed. I find it interesting that young people think it’s a bigger commitment to get married than to have kids. They often have kids first and then decide if they want to marry. Something is seriously wrong with that line of thinking. Thankfully none of my kids or step kids have done that.

I'm not sure what "bedrock" constitutes, but in my opinion an involved citizenry is the basis of a healthy society. We're all in this together.

Rob, you misspelled society.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes things have changed. I find it interesting that young people think it’s a bigger commitment to get married than to have kids. They often have kids first and then decide if they want to marry. Something is seriously wrong with that line of thinking. Thankfully none of my kids or step kids have done that.
    This trend has been going on for awhile in Scandinavia, and seems to work out OK there. https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/...rise-worldwide In other countries, not so much.

I think that healthy, functioning family units are the bedrock of society. Marriage is simply a commitment between two adults to support each other and their offspring, so it's an important element.

Unfortunately, commitment has become passé and the bedrock is crumbling, support has been transferred to the public sphere rather then the personal and society is worse for it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There’s pros and cons to both marriages and bedrocks. Sometimes an earthquake is a good thing - relieves some pressure before it explodes.

I can think of a lot of factors that strengthen a country--a healthy, educated citizenry that works together for the common good, a clean environment...Strong marriages and partnerships certainly play a part, especially where children are involved, but I don't believe they necessarily constitute a foundation. (And Tammy has a point--rigidity tends to shatter when tested.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I can think of a lot of factors that strengthen a country--
    I think there's a huge difference between a country and it's society, which I believe is personified by its prevailing culture. I think strong families are the bedrock of culture.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Agreed.

well, children are appendages to a lifestyle, women can have it all, dont need no steenkin’ man, etc.

Never mind what children need, it is about what the adults want.

If children come into the world with parents who are indifferent to their basic well being, they have a strike against them already. I remain convinced that the best parenting decision one will ever make is the choice of a partner with whom to reproduce.

Thread Information